We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

Which Iquitos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peru
Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

Hi !

My name is Jonas and I´ve just landed (friday) in Lima, I am currently staying at a friends house in central Lima, but I´m going up north to Iquitos in one week, and I´m wondering if there would be any possibility to arrange to live with some of the "indians" and to try to live "in union" with their old habits and ways of doing things..

I´ve always been interested in shamans and alternative medicine and when I last year magically were cured by a shaman from ecuador I knew that I had to go here to see for myself..

So right now I´m wondering if there is anyone that knows this place a little better that can help me.. I´m not another tourist just looking for the ayahuasca "trip" I´m really serious and really want to learn..

Thanks for the help and best Wishes

/ Jonas

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

Your best bet is to use yr friend to help you get the info you need .

I would search on the Internet for Shamans in Iquitos and your friend can help you with the translation.

I have not been in Iquitos for over 10 years and have lost all my contacts.

First time I was there was in 1973 !!!!

Prescott, Arizona
reviews: 83
2. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

I just returned from Peru and time studying with a very special spiritual teacher... he would never call himself a Shaman, and the real ones don't refer to themselves as such. However, it was only after a recommendation from a former student of his and numerous e-mails back and forth that he agreed to welcome me into his spiritual community. That said, the saying goes, "you can't throw a rock in Peru without hitting a Shaman."

There are many who claim special powers or spiritual insights, and are happy to accept your money. However, for the true healers and spiritual teachers money isn't envolved, and you have to prove yourself to be worthy of their time and wisdom. So, while I can't put you in touch with a true Shaman, I can advise you to use caution when looking for one.

Prescott, Arizona
reviews: 83
3. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

As an example: In Cusco, I was amused by and took a photo of something called "The Shaman Shop." I also snapped a shot of the handmade sign on the door, saying, "Ayahuasca Ceremony Tonight at 8pm." Yes, free enterprise is alive and well in Peru!

Peru
4. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

Okey, It sounds even worse than I thought it was...

With Shamans going commercial you kind of lose the whole idea..

I mean it´s not that I will not pay for a service it´s just that I don´t think that you can buy spirituality or "enlightenment"..

Well as of today there has been a change of plans and I am going to Cusco on monday and probably staying for a while and then moving up the river to Iquitos later in November/December...

But thanks for all the help ! I will keep looking and rather then pursue the first best "shaman" that jumps me I will lay back until it feels "right"...

Again, Thanks !

iquitos
5. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

pedro guerra in Tamshiyacu is a famous shaman,when you go to iquitos take a speedboat to tamshiyacu leaves in "el huequito"in the morning,in tamshiyacu you can ask for hem

aslo youve got augustin rivas where you can go to,you can find cheap hotels overthere

greetz dirk

http://www.aguilayacu.com

New York City, New...
6. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

Very, Very, Very true, abuse of ayahuasca and the title ¨shaman¨ is rampant and not only in Iquiotos. Many will do what ever possible to get you wasted to take advantage in one way or another.

I would chosse from an established company that can take responsibility for wrongs done otherwise you are shooting in the dark .

Amazon Ecological tours with Alex weil

Otorongo Expeditions with Ivonne Braga

iquitos
7. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

Hello Jonas welcome to Peru!

I have just read your message I can see you are really interested in learning shamanism, and that is something serious, well, listen I´m a tour operator in Iquitos I can offer you tours into the jungle with different options according to the tourists interests but in your case it is something separate I don´t normally work with shamans, although I can put you in contact with a real and very experienced one native from jungle, this shaman is capable to teach you very much about our natural and spiritual medicine.

Write back to this address if you are interested:

jungleexploreroe@hotmail.com

8. Re: Shamanic apprenticeship / visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:38 am, September 27, 2009