We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

budget for macchu picchu trip

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
oregon
reviews: 8
budget for macchu picchu trip

I have only been to peru once, for 6 months when I was 18 in 1974, so as I am reading the forum it looks like it has become real expensive. Pay to get into Macchu Picchu and climb Huaynapicchu? When I went it was me, my friend and some stray llamas! I don't even think there was an admission fee. My husband and I are late 50, mid 60's but we can still walk okay, and not averse to rail and bus transpo. My question: A two month stay in Peru, hitting Macchu Picchu, Iquitos ( with a night or two in a jungle lodge), Lima and maybe visits to Lake Titicaca, Puno, Andajes, Arequipa , Cajamarca, Ica, etc, how much are we looking at for food, lodging, events and transportation, not counting airfare? I don't need anyone I'm dealing with to speak English, Spanish okay. ( I don't speak Quechua though) Mid range accomodations, ( clean, no bedbugs) I would think I would want to go in January-Feb for the weather. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
1. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

While there are many variables, we have had guests do a 12 day trip visiting Cusco and Lake Titicaca for about $860 per person. With the biggest variable being transportation, I would work up a rough itinerary of where you want to go and how you want to get there first, then just start filling in the costs. On average you could expect to spend an average of $10 per person for food (if you get accommodations that include breakfast), decent lodgings can vary between $10 - $30 per night depending on type and location.

Overall I would guess you could do 2 months for under $5000

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
2. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

<<I would think I would want to go in January-Feb for the weather.>>

This is the rainiest time of year in the highlands & jungle areas of Peru. Is that what you are looking for?

The Inca Trail is closed every February for maintenance -- but also because it is rainiest & muddiest then. Peruvian winter (June-Aug) is driest season, with shoulder months still pretty good. Essentially, there are two seasons -- rainy season and dry season, not a tremendous temperature difference like we see in the US with seasons. On the other hand, you will not have crowds in Jan or Feb. & many activities will not need pre-booking.

www.theoptimistictraveler.com

oregon
3. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

hmm, I wondered why intiraymi was in June! I didn't think the weather in Cusco would be good at that time, cause winter is approaching. I was there from Jan to July and had pretty good hot weather, but maybe I am remembering wrong. I think it was cool in Cusco, Puno, Juliaca, etc, but sunny during the day. Had good weather in Iquitos, but maybe there are fewer mosquitos in June July August? The Inca trail, is that what goes to Sacyswaman and Purucuchu? I cannot remember well, so long ago.

Cusco, Peru
4. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

Like redhead47 said, Jan-Feb will definitely be wet in the Cusco region, and while I cannot say how Iquitos will be in Jan-Feb, I know it is wet and hot in the Chanchamayo region where my in-laws live (jungle).

May is the end of the rainy season but also what the locals call the "heladas", because the night time temperatures drop quite a bit. For best weather I like Aug - Sep, it is just before the rainy season and the temperatures are nice, down side is everything is brown. If you don’t mind putting up with a little rain, April is not to bad and most everything is still green.

Edited: 11:43 pm, May 18, 2013
oregon
5. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

sounds good. Any ideas on budget for a two month trip? Will it cost more to go in April? Thank you!

Edited: 2:17 am, May 19, 2013
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
6. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

Typically I can do quite comfortably around $2500 for 3-4 weeks for one person. This is at comfortable quiet places with private bathrooms, or the occasional guest house where the bath may be down the hall. Not backpackers.

The things that start to run costs up are private tours, plane flights, and tourist restaurants.

And of course for MP there is the $100 train ride, $50 ticket, and the boleto turistico for the Sacred Valley.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
7. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

Typically I can do quite comfortably around $2500 for 3-4 weeks for one person. This is at comfortable quiet places with private bathrooms, or the occasional guest house where the bath may be down the hall. Not backpackers.

April/May or September are good.

Sometimes you get lucky going in October/November if it isn't a rainy year.

If you can go for two months consider adding in Bolivia, it is about 1/3 the cost of Peru. Easy to enter from Puno to La Paz in half a day.

The things that start to run costs up are private tours, plane flights, and tourist restaurants.

And of course for MP there is the $100 train ride, $50 ticket, and the boleto turistico for the Sacred Valley.

Cusco, Peru
8. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

If going to Bolivia you would also have to add a $130 visa per person.

The only time the costs go up are around June/July which is the busy season, so you could still figure around/under $5000 per person. Also as mlgb indicated, airfare could make a big difference, with 2 months you have plenty of time to use buses for transportation, this will help keep the cost down.

oregon
9. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

Thank you for all the responses. Very helpful to plan!

10. Re: budget for macchu picchu trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 21, 2014