We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salkantay trek on my own

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Salkantay trek on my own

We are 2 people, and want to do a trek to the MP.

I wonder if there is an option not to join an orgenized group, but to rent a guide and a porter an do the trek on our own.

Does anyone know if this is posibble ?

Any way to arrange this before getting to Cuzco ?

Any tip or information is welcome !

Thanks!

Udi

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 285
1. Re: Salkantay trek on my own

You can get plenty information here : http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/

You can do it privately with one of the authorized tour cmpanies but you will still need to obtain the permit through one of these agencies and they will probably charge you an arm and a leg.

Lima, Peru
2. Re: Salkantay trek on my own

I disagree xochitl, You can definitely do the Salkantay trek only with a official tour guide who can hire a hores and horses man who can carry your food, there are many tour guides who were Cooks on the Inca trail and are graduated a guide who can be your guide and can also be your cook, is very easy to buy your entrance fees to Machu Picchu.

But definitely not recommended to go on your own without a guide.

I have been a tour guide for long time and saw many people doing the trek without a guide and not having a fun time but if you go with a Guide you will have lots of fun and enjoy.

Chelmsford, United...
3. Re: Salkantay trek on my own

There are plenty of great guides who can organise the trek for you - some advance warning needs to be given because they'll need to buy all the food, organise transportation and that the mule drivers will be waiting for you etc., but otherwise it's a great option.

I'm not sure where you can find a list of guides here in Cusco, I'm sure there are plenty of guides out there who follow this forum and the lonely planet forum where you could also post your question. Maybe you'll be lucky and someone will get in touch.

4. Re: Salkantay trek on my own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 27, 2014