We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flights from Lima to Cusco

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South Pole
reviews: 16
Flights from Lima to Cusco

I have searched the forums but most topics are a bit old, so I hope I don't get people mad.

I understand that in order to get cheaper fare for a flight between Lima and Cusco on LAN or TACA, I'd have to find a Peruvian travel agent/guide or a Peruvian national. Don't they check at the airport?

I ask because this is the warning on LAN's booking site:

"Tarifas Base y Base Plus son sólo para residentes peruanos. En caso de que no acredite residencia en el Perú, LAN podrá negarle el embarque o aplicar un cargo adicional de US$ 177."

Google Translate: "Rates Base and Base Plus are only for Peruvian residents . If that does not prove residence in Peru, LAN may deny boarding or to apply a surcharge of U.S. $ 177."

Can anyone give me some assurance that this will work?

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
1. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

No, your understanding is NOT correct.

It's not who buys the ticket, it's who is flying. No, you don't have to "find" a Peruvian national in order to fly at cheaper rates, you have to BE a Peruvian national or resident.

If you try to fly with this cheaper fare ticket, you will likely be charged that $177 extra fee. Your google translate spells it out.

Now, I don't know if some of the older posts you refer to are about the lower cost fees or something else. For a while, many tourists had trouble booking the non-Peruvian tickets & needed help from a Peruvian agency -- but this was for the regular tourist-fare tickets, just a glitch of the website & its difficulty accepting non-Peruvian credit cards (as same with Machu Picchu entry tickets).

Los Angeles...
reviews: 3
2. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

I flew LC PERU from Lime to Cusco. Perfectly fine experience.. It's a twin prop plane that holds about 20 people. They were much cheaper than Lan or Taca.

South Pole
3. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

They only have one flight a day and it's really early...

South Pole
4. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

redhead47: Thanks for clarifying! That's where I got confused. I thought you can get a Peruvian to buy those for you, and then they're stupid enough not to check your proof of citizenship at the airport! Haha :-D

South Pole
5. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

ckuempel: Do you know what the different prices mean on LCPeru?

Cusco, Peru
6. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

You could try Star Peru. I have found they have consistently the cheapest airfares on the Lima to cusco route plus there is no fare difference for foreigners or peruvians. Everyone pays the same.

Might be worth a look: http://www.starperu.com/

jersey
reviews: 19
7. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

i flew to Cuzco 95$ return with LC peru, on their promo fare. Star peru costs more, but it also depends on when you book, and when you travel dates are.

taca and lan are FAR mor expensive!

South Pole
8. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

I read on some of these posts on here that Star Peru is unreliable, canceling flights and causing travelers to wait at the airport for hours at a time for a different flight...

Did anyone have similar experience? Should I risk it?

jersey
reviews: 19
9. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

star peru-lc peru are fine most of the time, don´t let one or 2 complaints put you off, these are well used airlines, used successfully by many happy customers. some pple don´t read the terms and conditions, and plan their trip badly, then blame it all on the airline.

Edited: 7:46 pm, February 26, 2013
10. Re: Flights from Lima to Cusco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, February 28, 2014