We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Carlos...
do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

Hi, I'm going to Peru in April...a friend who came back from traveling in Europe said your credit card needs the "chip" on the outside of it (whatever that means) is that the same for Peru? or is my regular "old fashioned" credit card ok?

thank you

Karen

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 144
1. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

No chip needed.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 290
2. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

The chip is a new safety feature and other on your credit card, but not required for usage.

San Carlos...
3. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

thank you!

Karen

4. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

You may want to request a global card. My CC wouldn't work in Europe at the gas pumps last year so they gave me a global card. Hope to try it out soon.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 82
5. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

I'm actually worried about the "chip" after watching on TV how a thief with an "RFID" (chip) reader can just come up next to you and get your credit card info...via frequency. The thief doesn't even have to physically have your card to steal it. They said only way to stop the RFID readers are wrapping or keeping your card in foil.

San Carlos...
6. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

Yikes!

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 79
7. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

our bank (located in 8 states) blocks all atm and credit card transaction from south america unless you call them and tell them you are going there.

Take 2 different network cards also as some did not work in some Lima atms but worked in others even tho the machines had the same network sign/sticker listed on them

Edited: 8:06 am, March 05, 2013
San Carlos...
8. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

this may be a dumb question but what is meant by "network" do you mean bring a visa and a mastercard?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 31
9. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

I'm actually worried about the "chip" after watching on TV how a thief with an "RFID" (chip)

Chip on the credit card does NOT use RFID so use your tinfoil to make a hat ))

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
reviews: 31
10. Re: do i need a "chip" on my credit cards

our bank (located in 8 states) blocks all atm and credit card transaction from south america unless you call them and tell them you are going there.

I got in touch w Chase and it was still a no basically