We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Peruvian food

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen
reviews: 60
Cheap Peruvian food

Ok, here's the challenge... Where is the best place to get traditional dishes like Lomo Saltado and Chicharon? Non-tourist places with a tight budget. s20 MAX. Also, what else is a must try in Cusco?

Thanks,

Fiona

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
1. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

s20 is not a tight budget.

s6 is a tight budget.

Just walk away from the Plaza de Armas and the prices drop.

Aberdeen
reviews: 60
2. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

Thanks, I'm aware of that. I'm looking for specific restaurant names for good local food. If anyone can actually suggest somewhere that would be great.

Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 15
3. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

Some good places with cheap food won't even have a banner. In Peru you can get great food in market stalls but not sure if you would try that.

Have you tried the TripAdvisor listings?

tripadvisor.com/Restaurants-g294314-Cusco_Cu…

You can change the Price options and only go over the cheapest restaurants.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 31
4. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

Ok if you start from the Centro Artesanal, travel up Av. Tullumayo about 30 yards or so from Pachacute. On the left side of the street you will find a small local place that offers a S/6 menu up until about 3pm, or whenever the items are gone. You will get soup, a main dish and a drink, they usually have Spaghetti, Fried Trout and one other dish that changes each day. The place is always clean, the owner is very nice, and best of all, we have taken several guests there and no one has ever gotten sick. Unfortunately I don't remember the name at the moment but it is across the street from a large tourist restaurant and a hotel (Hotel Warari I think).

reviews: 50
5. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

chicharron: go to calle loreto, the street that goes up almost directly from iglesia santo domingo. there are 2 or 3 places that fry up chicharron. can't remember the names of any of them.

other dishes: causa rellena, aji de gallina, papa a la huancaina if you like your carbs. also sopa de quinua or caldo de gallina at mercado san pedro.

Cusco, Peru
6. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

I would be careful eating at any of the Markets

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 279
7. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

Cheap food could also mean extra chance of getting food poisoning .

Enjoy but be careful. Try Pachapapa close to Iglesia San Blas.

A 20 soles Lomo Saltado will for sure not be Sirloin.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
8. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

If you want food poisoning along with your expensive food, try one of the tourist buffets in Urubamba frequented by the bus tours.

Just follow the basic principles, be sure the food is freshly prepared and hot when it is served, and avoid produce that is not peeled before eating.

Very often the lunch menu places have food that is hot and freshly prepared for the day, so there is less chance than some rice dish made with leftovers from the prior's days buffet, or a "special' in a fancy restaurant that didn't sell as well as anticipated and was sitting around all day without refrigeration.

I like the Los Toldos chicken, they have a wood oven and also do pizza.

Edited: 4:20 pm, February 18, 2013
Harding NJ
9. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

We ate a lot of hot (boiled soup)and every one of us got sick on the way to Machu Piccu! I think it is a matter of luck. Make sure to get an Rx of Cipro filled at a US pharmacy and bring a lot of Imodium and Pepto Bismol tabs.

Cusco, Peru
10. Re: Cheap Peruvian food

Being hot and Boiled will only ensure that the water used to make it is safe, The most important thing is how all the ingredients are handled and stored.