We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu picchu help!!

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Machu picchu help!!

Hi,

I'm traveling to Peru in late june and will be following the gringo trail ending with a week or so in Cusco. I'm on a student budget and am looking into doing a train ride and tour of machu picchu, but currently having difficulty trying to find anything without a single supplement! and I'm not sure whether it would be best to go through a tour company or get the machu and train tickets separately? I'm also looking into doing a riding trip around the sacred valley.

if anyone has any advice about tour operators that cater for single travelers and just general tips on the must sees then that would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
1. Re: Machu picchu help!!

Book it all yourself -- easy to do. Many on this forum have done it & have given good info back to the forum. You might need help getting Machu Picchu tickets (several recommendations on the forum) because the MP website is wonky. You can book PeruRail tickets & hotels yourself, also domestic flights.

You can perhaps get some tours around the Sacred Valley as stand-alones, not part of a larger tour. As far as I know, single supplements only come into play for hotel rooms, anyway.

reviews: 96
2. Re: Machu picchu help!!

agree with above. easy enough to do on your own and less expensive. and unless you're intent on hiking Huayna Picchu (the popular mountain in MP) you can easily buy the MP tickets yourself at the INC office in Cusco a day or 2 before you go. another option to save yourself the hassle of running around town - if you're on a student budget, you'll probably be staying in hostels? - most hostels offer 2day/1night MP packages and other tours that you can book when you arrive.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 45
3. Re: Machu picchu help!!

Group tours for the City and Sacred Valley are actually very reasonable, cheaper than hiring a cab but a little more than taking buses, there is a smaller tour company that we usually recommend to our guests, Viajes Cusco, their 2 day MP tours run $210 USD, not much more than doing it yourself.

For lodging, look into places with dorm type rooms, these are typically priced per person, so no supplement for a single guest.

4. Re: Machu picchu help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 20, 2014