We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Milford, MI
reviews: 2
US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

USA Today article title is:"Cancel that trip to Machu Picchu." Issued February 13, 2013,the warning "banned embassy employees from non-essential travel to the mountaintop Incan ruins and the Cusco region at large, The threat is credible at least through the end of February."

We just finalized plans for an April trip to Cusco including a 4day/3night hike with SAS trekking company.

We do not have travel insurance. Should we cancel? We have been looking forward to this for years but it's not worth a kidnapping.

What are your views?

1. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:57 am, February 22, 2013
nj
2. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

I'm leaving tomorrow and hope there is no problem

Harding NJ
3. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

My 22 year old American daughter is working for a USA based mobile medical clinic. They have cancelled thier clinic for early March in Cusco-it is simply not safe to travel there right now!!!

Harding NJ
4. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

Go another time. Why risk being kidnapped by a well known and feared terrorist group when there are other wonderful places to visit?

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 43
5. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

Question, which well know and feared terrorist group would this be? As of yet, I have seen no conformation of any group, and nobody here in the Cusco area seems concerned. I would take your trip as planned and enjoy yourself, take any normal precautions that you would take when visiting any foreign country.

Alexandria, Va
reviews: 25
6. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

Well, I am going in May, and am sitting tight for now. I will likely hold off on booking things that I need to book (flight to Cuzco, train to Puno) for a bit, since I don't want to waste money if we do need to cancel later. But, I have my international plane tickets and trek booked with SAS Travel, so I hope to be able to go!

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 25
7. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

Always a GOOD idea to get travelling insurance when travelling.

8. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, February 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
reviews: 39
9. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

Which clinic is this? Our college student daughter has applied for a grant for a summer program in Cusco - and I would like to keep abreast of which programs are continuing/pulling out.

thanks!

nj
10. Re: US State Department issued kidnapping warning for Americans

We have been in cusco for three days now and have seen no evidence of problems so far.