We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood, TN
reviews: 11
Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

Thinking of traveling with falimy of four from Cusco to Puno to see Lake Titicaca area. Seems traveling by train via Perurail (total cost $1588) costs more than flying LAN (total roundtrip cost $1179). Why is this? I'm sure the 10hr train trip is scenic, but the cost seems a bit high. Am I missing something? Thanks for any helpful comments.

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 21
1. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

The train has always been the most expensive option. A less expensive option is a tourist bus such as www.inkaexpress.com which travels the same route as the train so the scenery is the same but the bus stops at important sites along the way. You can also check out www.taca.com and www.starperu.com to see if they have cheaper flights from Cusco to Juliaca. Just be aware that TACA has PROMO fares which on some of the routes are for residents of Peru only and I dont know if that applies to this route or not.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 137
2. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

The Inka Express bus would be something like $200 to $220 for a family of four.

It includes stops at tourist sites along the way.

San Francisco...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

I am also trying to plan our tix. I called Star Peru today. My guide book says they fly to Juliaca but when i went on their website for May i didn't see it listed. When i called and talked to the agent she told me they dont' fly there.

So i'm not sure if we want to include Lake Tiki in the trip, if we have to do RT Lima-Cusco, since taking the bus BOTH WAYS back to Cusco would be way too many hours

Lima, Peru
reviews: 13
4. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

Train is a much better experience than the flight. Even though the flight is quick you have to factor in about an extra 3 hours of transport time you'll have in addition to the time you are in the air from the time you depart your hotel in cusco until you arrive to your hotel in puno.

If money is not a concern the Train is definitely more worthwhile than the flight. That being said the Bus is also a very nice experience and I would still rather take the Tourist Bus than fly as the scenery is beautiful and with the bus you get to stop and see some of the sites along the way between Cusco and Puno.

Flight is the worst of the 3 choices in my opinion.

Edited: 9:33 pm, February 16, 2013
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 137
5. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

Taca.com flies between Juliaca and Lima, as does LAN.com

Star Peru has dropped some of their routes within Peru. Your guidebook is out of date.

Little Canfield...
reviews: 164
6. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

The Inka express bus takes around the same length of time as the train and as previously said the journey is broken by various stops including one for lunch.

When we made the journey last year the guide on the bus was well informed with just the right amount of information, making for an interesting journey.The coach was comfortable and drinks were served throughout the journey. It was a great way to see the countryside.

7. Re: Cusco to Puno. Train vs. flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 25, 2014