We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAN or Taca?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
LAN or Taca?

We are deliberating between these two companies to fly the following routes:

Lima- Cusco

Cusco - Puerto Maldonado

Puerto Maldonado - Lima

After reading all the negative posts, my feeling is that they are both far from perfect and that LAN is a better option because they have more daily flights. Am I correct?

How is Taca's service between Cusco and Puerto Maldonado? Is it better to take an early morning or late morning flight out of Cusco?

Edited: 4:11 pm, December 25, 2012
Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
1. Re: LAN or Taca?

Flights in and out of Cusco are mainly effected by weather, with the typical pattern being mild mornings with storms building in the afternoon and evening. We always try and book our flights in the morning to reduce the potential for delays.

I usually fly Star Peru (have you considered them?) as they offer the best pricing for non residents, My wife has flown both Lan and Taca and has experience equal service with both airlines.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
2. Re: LAN or Taca?

For your first question, the answer is yes, IMO

Its only a 20 minute flight, why worry so much ?

Menen, Belgium
reviews: 74
3. Re: LAN or Taca?

I haven't flown with Lan for a while due to their sales policy.

Lan isn't necessarily better because they have more flights, I would fly with the carrier offering the cheapest flight.

Star Peru will probably be your best bet, much cheaper than the other two.

If you travel light LCPeru might even be cheaper to get to Cusco, 113 $ round trip vs 174 with Star Peru. No more than 15 kg allowed with LCPeru.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 13
4. Re: LAN or Taca?

Cheapest ins't always the best option. LAN and TACA are the best airlines. Either is okay, LAN have more flights per day, but are known to cancel flights which aren't full and move passengers to other flights at the last minute.......

Here's intreting article on safety records of the main airlines in Peru.

…blogspot.com/2012/11/is-flying-in-peru-safe…

Menen, Belgium
reviews: 74
5. Re: LAN or Taca?

Why would cheapest be a worse decision?

LAN lost my luggage in December 2007.

Taca almost made me loose a night bus ride which was hours after arrival time in September 2012

Star Peru isn't always flying on time but I never had I flight delayed for more than three hours and Peruvian Airlines had serious troubles back in August 2011 but they have another management now.

None of these companies had a crash in Peru the past decade or am I wrong?

jersey
reviews: 19
6. Re: LAN or Taca?

IncaKola is correct. Spending more for short flights is pretty pointless, unless you absolutely feel the need to do so, but a plane is a plane, and the cheap ones are just as safe.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
7. Re: LAN or Taca?

I had the same thing with TACA, nearly missed my night bus from Chiclayo, flight delayed over 3 hours from Lima for no reason other than equipment problems.

They all have problems with delays, cancellations, etc. LAN is perhaps the worst for cancelling flights that are not full.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 6
8. Re: LAN or Taca?

Thank you all. I never considered Star Peru - will do now.

If our international flight arrives to Lima at 7am, how much of a buffer should I give for the connecting flight to Cusco? Would 2-3 hours for the baggage pick up, check in, etc be sufficient?

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
9. Re: LAN or Taca?

I think the biggest risk is that your flight is delayed from Canada. It takes roughly one hour to clear customs immigration. If you have luggage to check, I would want to be in line at the Star Peru counter at least an hour ahead, possibly more.

I would say 3 hours, at least. There are lots of places to eat in the Lima airport, so it won't be too bad to spend an extra hour hanging out there.

Some of the questions about Star Peru are buried on their website, you can view the FAQ in Spanish here. One thing to note is that they are stricter on their carryon sizes than

www.starperu.com/footer/preguntas-frecuentes

For change fees, etc do your booking search and then click "Ver Condiciones". If you have selected English language then you will be able to see those in English.

There will be some taxes added in to the final fare that you will see before finalizing purchase.

BTW if you have not bought your international tickets, sometimes it is not too costly to add the domestic legs as part of an airpass or just as part of your main ticket. Many of them will have partner agreements with either LAN or TACA.

Edited: 3:44 pm, December 26, 2012
Cusco, Peru
reviews: 33
10. Re: LAN or Taca?

I have had customs take longer, If they are busy or you happen to get the red light which will route you through bag inspection.

On our trip last Feb/Mar it took more than 2 hours between exiting the plane and clearing customs. I would put as much time between flights as you can.