We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Cusco MP bound

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huntington Beach
Trip to Cusco MP bound

I'm planning a trip to Cusco at the End of September, this is my first trip out of the states and i was doing research on the area and got hooked. Whats the best was to go about things . Flight? MP tickets? Hike Preparation?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 279
1. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

Fly and book in advance.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 136
2. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

www.andeantravelweb.com

Huntington Beach
3. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

perfect! this is what i was looking for

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 31
4. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

Do your research and be sure to check Star Peru for your flight from Lima to Cusco, they have the best rates I have found. If you are planning to do the Inka Trail book in advance, the slots tend to fill up fast; the other options to hike to Machu Picchu can be easily booked when here along with other tours. If you want to go at your own pace, cars are easy to hire and should run around $50 a day.

Huntington Beach
5. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

We were thinking of flying into Cusco . End of Sept 2013. And plan on booking the MP tickets and flights by the First of the Year.. is that enough time or should we book everything sooner? How was the adjustment to the altitude ?

San Francisco, CA
reviews: 39
6. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

The only advantage to booking domestic flights or MP tickets 9 months in advance is it increases the likelihood you'll need to change them. Even the much scarcer Inca Trail tickets aren't sold out that far in advance.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 31
7. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

If you decide to book with Star Peru I would start looking a few months out as they have several price levels and the lower levels (basic and regular) tend to go first. I did a quick look for September and during the first week they still have tickets available for $67 one way, as it gets closer to your planed day these will be harder to find.

You should be able to book your Machu Picchu tickets when you arrive here, if you want to get them prior to coming, I wouldn’t book any earlier than a month prior.

Most people do ok with the altitude, you can expect to have a headache for the first few days you are here, drinking coca tea helps (most properties offer this), additionally drinking lots of water and taking it easy the first day or two is also advised. Some people recommend starting your trip in the Sacred Valley to help you acclimate, I tend to disagree, unless you are really having trouble in the Cusco area, it is logistically better to stay in Cusco. If you allow your body to adjust to the higher altitude of Cusco, hiking the sights in the lower elevations (Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu) becomes much easier.

Cusco, Peru
8. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

Inca Trail tickets traditionally sell out around 3 months prior. So planning your trip can be done at that time. Domestic flight prices within Peru booking either with Star Peru, Peruvian Airlines or Taca tend to increase in price within the 3 month prior mark. The only thing you should consider booking now are your International flights as they have a tendency to increase in price. While the Inca Trail is subject to availability there is no need to rush and make bookings now.

Uncover Latin America.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
9. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

I think that for September, Inca Trail tickets might sell out (for certain dates) as much as 5 months prior. So book in March or April. There is a limit of 500 permits per day. Flights can wait a bit longer. Hotels, train & bus tickets even later.

10. Re: Trip to Cusco MP bound

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, December 16, 2013