We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Cusco?

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Napa Valley, CA
reviews: 10
4 weeks in Cusco?

I am an older student and have recently returned to university. I am majoring in Anthropology but am very interested in Latin America; the people, history, culture, etc. One of my professors does a program every summer in Cusco, "History of the Andean People." I am very interested in doing this program. We will have 3 days in Machu Picchu, and will see all the other major sites in the area. I will earn university credit, which is a major factor in me going, as well as having the experience of a lifetime. My husband will be joining me although he finished college many, many years ago.

My question is: what do you think about being in Cusco for 4 weeks? Is it the kind of place many of you would love to have more time in (like Paris, I could stay there for months and months!). I am concerned about the altitude and just being in one place for so long that is quite different from home. We both love travel, meeting new people, and I have studied Spanish for the last 4 years and would love to use it. We would be busy with classes and activities so would not be bored. Responses? feedback? Advice? Thank you!

Seattle, Washington
1. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

I just returned from Cusco where I stayed for 6 days while my husband did the Inca Trail. I cannot imagine staying there for 4 weeks. However, you will be busy with classes so that may be the difference. Cusco is not Paris.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
2. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

I would not be overly concerned about altitude sickness (you should adjust in a few days). I would be more concerned that summer is "winter" and it gets very cold at night. You will want to be sure your lodging has heat. But I wouldn't be bored.

Norwich, Connecticut
reviews: 15
3. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

I spent 5 weeks near Cusco for volunteer work. 4 days were spent in Manu jungle, the rest around Cusco with just a weekend at Machu Picchu. There's no lack of things to do around there! There's so many ruins to explore, cathedrals to visit and the Pisaq market is about half an hour away. Pay a taxi driver about $40 and he'll drive you round-trip AND wait a couple hours for you while you shop! There's whitewater rafting, horseback riding, all that good stuff. Just dress in layers. Summer is winter there but in the sun you'll be hot because of the altitude and in the shade you'll be very chilly. I only had altitude sickness the first day or two and it was just an extreme headache

Houston
reviews: 2
4. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

Even though Cuzco is not my favorite place in Perú, I would jump at this opportunity in a heartbeat.

You will not be there as a tourist so the first comment is from a different point of view. I would not worry about feeling stuck or trapped because it is only 4 short weeks and you have a goal in mind, plus you'll be with your spouse.

With the time you'll have, you can do so many things that the gone-in-a-flash-tourists can never get to do. You can build friendships, scout out for your favorite local spots where you become a regular, explore in every direction, savor everything that you want to spend more time doing, relax, and really push your own cultural boundries. You could sneak in an extra class or two on other skills that interest you--my husband just took one last week in Lima on book-binding. You can shop and learn the right prices to pay for what you get. You can learn to cook local specialities. You can really explore.

Frankly, I am jealous.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
5. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

I have been visiting Cusco for he past 45 years and still find plenty things to do and visit. as an anthropologist I am sure you will love it.

Just take your time at the beginning to get properly acclimatized and you will do great.

Napa Valley, CA
6. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

Thank you so much for your replies, especially the last two. We are very much looking forward to having an extended time in Cusco and getting to know people and to have the luxury of exploring at a relaxed pace. Your replies have made me even more excited. Thank you!

Lima, Peru
7. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

Sounds very interesting! But Peru's history goes much further than Cusco and the Incas, you should definately check out northern Peru!! Where you can learn about the Chimu, the Mochicas & the Chachapoyas amonst others! Also Nazca & Paracas should be quite interesting. And finally you should definately check out Caral near Lima, its thought to be the first civilization in S.America going back to about 3500 BC.

Napa Valley, CA
8. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

Thanks! I am aware of the Moche and some of the other areas you mention. My past anthropology professor goes to work on a Moche site every summer and has taught her classes much about it. What city/town would make a good base to visit these places and what is the best way to get there from Cusco? Since we will be in Cusco for a month we may be able to take a 3 day weekend to go north.

jersey
reviews: 19
9. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

I stayed in Cuzco for about 2 months a few years ago.Cuzco is a great place where you'll always have something good to do. After you've done some tourist stuff, there's the partying, and the great mix of people you'll have the pleasure of meeting. Yes you can fall in love with the place and stay months easily, make it your home- Cuzco Rocks!!

Edited: 4:08 pm, October 30, 2012
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
10. Re: 4 weeks in Cusco?

Trujillo is probably the easiest since you can see both Huaca de Luna/Huaca Arco Iris and then Chan Chan. Although you will lose most of two days flying to Lima and then to Trujillo. Try TACA and LAN.

If you can find a driver to take you from Trujillo to see the El Brujo site and museum, that is also very interesting.