We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco recommendations??

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Laguna Niguel...
Cusco recommendations??

Hello,

I will be arriving in Cusco solo, one day prior to starting a tour and am intereseted in any advise on where to stay and what to see.

My first night hotel stay with the tour is at the Picoaga Hotel and I was wondering if I should book there for the ease of things or if there is a better hotel or one that may offer a different view/insight of the city.

Would it be easier to stay in one place and just venture on foot to see or would I gain anything by relocating the following night? Is Picoago a good choice?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
1. Re: Cusco recommendations??

Picoaga is a well located Hotel. Just walking distance to the main square and many lovely sites of the city of Cusco.

Many other choices are available. Look at Tripadvisor Cusco Hotels to obtain many opinions.

Just be careful on yr first day in Cusco and do not overexcert yourself and get altitude sickness.

Laguna Niguel...
2. Re: Cusco recommendations??

Hi xochitl,

Thanks for the info. I have checked out the hotels on this site and have narrowed it to Novotel, Hotel Marques, Royal Inka1, or Sasa San Blas (not in any preferencial order). Do you have any recommendations? Or should I just stay @ Picoago?

I do not have any scheduled plans for my arrival, only to rest and enjoy the city. Any recommendations for that or anything else to include?

And finally, is there a need to bring travelers checks? I've heard ATM's work fine over there?

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
3. Re: Cusco recommendations??

I would stay at the Picoaga or maybe try the Royal Inca 1 which both have good reviews and are well located. They are also built on Colonial Houses.

It's a good idea to rest upon arrival to Cusco City. In the afternoon you should visit the Plaza de Armas and the Cathedral and the areas around San Blas. But just keep it at a slow pace.Do not eat or drink to much alcohol.

If you are taking a tour I guess you will be visiting Sacsayhuaman which you CANNOT miss on this trip.

Do not bring travellers checks , they are a pain in the neck to change and you will get lower rates.Just bring some US$ cash and yr ATM card.Plenty machines in Cusco.