We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
CA
reviews: 27
Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

My Friend is thinking about purchasing the Student ISIC so she can receive a reduced cost for the Inca Trail. She is a full time student (40 years old) and is qualify for the card.

I have read that in some places, even though you have a Student ISIC, you have to be under 26 to receive a reduction in price.

For the Inca trail, do you need to be under 26 with a Student ISIC or do you just need to show prove of the card for the reduced price?

Also, how many days does it take for the Card to arrive.? I read 6 days in one website and 6-7 weeks on another.

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
reviews: 14
11. Re: Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

Again, other costs related to the trek have increased, like the trek permit fees, Machu Picchu entrance fee, bus down the mountain and train for return to Cusco. These are beyond the control of any trek agency. And, of course, other costs have likely increased (cost of food, bus transport to trailhead, etc., plus hopefully an increase in porter pay). We paid about $400 in 2007 for our trek, now the same agency charges $550 -- not a doubling in price.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 7
12. Re: Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

I already found, with a little internet research, the current cost of most the items you mention above. Adding the cost of meals and pro-rating equipment replacement, it is still far, far below what the median cost of the trak is ($550-$600). Median prices five years ago were $300-$330. That's is nearly double what is being charged today. Today, dollar for dollar, [especially at the current rate of exchange] a 4D/3N Inka Trail Trek can be done for $350; with the vendor still making a reasonable profit.

In my book, this boils down to the fleecing of a captive market.

13. Re: Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:55 am, August 29, 2012
Edited: 7:55 am, August 29, 2012
Denver, Colorado
reviews: 7
14. Re: Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

Even though AlpacaExpeditions is a vendor, your honesty is refreshing and appreciated. You are right on every point you made. A 4D Inka Trek at $350 is a "no-frills" trip, but can be done. [As Karlita did say]

My comment about the "imposed rule"was positive. Where I live we have many very beautiful national parks as well, and I believe they need to be regulated to be protected. I applaud Peru for doing so.

Understandably, the high prices being charged now are for the "privilege" of seeing Machu Picchu; I understand that concept but, prices are too high and vendors are reaping an unbalenced profit. Times are tough and travellers are paying even more in airfare, housing, food etc., to get to Peru to see this magnificent sight. Soon travellers will go elsewhere where there dollar gets them more value and stop coming until this turns around. Don't let greed ruin things for everyone.To sustain your economy, lower the prices a little and everyone wins.

Again, thank you for your understanding and honesty!

Trail Rabbit

Edited: 9:39 pm, July 25, 2012
15. Re: Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:55 am, August 29, 2012
16. Re: Student ISIC for 4D/3 N Inca Trail

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 5:15 am, July 28, 2013