We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiesta de la Cruz in Ollanta.

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Fiesta de la Cruz in Ollanta.

I'm planning my trip for Cusco in late April and early May. I was wondering if anyone has information on what the Fiesta de la Cruz celebration is like in Ollanta. If I head to Aguas Calientes on May 2nd and return to Ollanta. on the afternoon of May 3rd, will there be anything to participate in or observe in the evening of May 3rd? Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
1. Re: Fiesta de la Cruz in Ollanta.

This is what the celebration mean :

For the cross, the saints and crops

At the time of the conquest of America, the cross was the symbol of the new religion and the european civilization. With that purpose, the Council of Lima ordered to put crosses in all the ancient worship places. But, despite all the orders, the indian continue venerating their huacas below the Christian symbol. As the time past, a religious syncretism started. The cross was related to the huacas. Finally it became the symbol of the union between the catholic religious and the andean believes. Nowadays, the cross has a very important place in the andean world. The festivity of the Velacuy cross is celebrated the first week of May and concurred with the period of crop.

In Ollantaytambo it is celebrated all day long on May 3rd.It goes all day long so you will probably see the tail end of the celebration.

San Francisco
2. Re: Fiesta de la Cruz in Ollanta.

Thank you so much! I appreciate your help and am looking forward to my trip.