We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to Manu Biosphere

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Golden, Colorado
Cusco to Manu Biosphere

My wife, kid and I are planning a trip to the Manu Biosphere. We are hikers and nature lovers. Anyone tips from visitors to Manu would be most welcome. Thank you.

Fox Island...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Cusco to Manu Biosphere

I went to Manu last year and the most important thing would be to take some very strong DEET for the mosquitos. We used 100% and were fine but other people in our party used 30% and were eaten alive. You will love it - we had a great time!! Make sure you are actually taken within the reserve, a lot of companies take you to the outskirts. It's still nice but it's not the same. It is possible to fly in and out of Boca Manu airport so you don't have to do so much overland travel if so desired. The roads are awful, no pavement, potholes, dust. But it is interesting passing through some of the villages. Manu is incredible, we saw the river otters 3 times in 2 days, one of the times was for 2 hours straight!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
2. Re: Cusco to Manu Biosphere

You can try Inkaterra for yr trip to the Manu.

NY
reviews: 1
3. Re: Cusco to Manu Biosphere

Are you asking for tips for planning a trip or you have reservations and asking about tips for doing the trip?

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 26
4. Re: Cusco to Manu Biosphere

Since you will have your child with you, I would look into any package that flies you into the reserve than any overland ones. We took a short trip (4 days) thru Manu Nature Tours and while we enjoyed it (the lodge was wonderful!), the drive to & from Cuzco was a bit long (about 4.5 hours with not much stopping), so it may be a bit taxing for your kid.

Tho we didn't go deep into the reserve, it was really cool just to see & learn about some of the interesting plants (and their medicinal uses) in the area. Lots of birds & butterfiles and squirrel monkeys :-) Bring your binoculars.

DEET seemed to work for most of us, but so did the Repel brand eucalyptus repellant for my friend (she had to use a natural brand since she was pregnant).

5. Re: Cusco to Manu Biosphere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, August 27, 2009