We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Porters for the Inca Trail

Which Cusco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
reviews: 1
Porters for the Inca Trail

Hi everyone,

My friend and I are going to do the 4day/3night Inca Trail in early April and we opted not to use porters. Is this a huge mistake? We're both 26 and pretty fit. We've carried our own packs in the past when hiking in the US but neither of us know much about conditions, equipment we'd be carrying, etc. for the trail. Any advice would be great! I think we can still get porters if needed. :)

Fox Island...
reviews: 16
1. Re: Porters for the Inca Trail

It doesn't cost very much to hire a porter and it certainly is a lot more comfortable with a smaller pack on the trail. We hired porters and of our group of 14 only 3 people did not. One of them had a lot of trouble and almost couldn't finish the trail. The other two were seasoned trekkers from Norway and probably could have jogged the trail with no problem! You would have to carry your sleeping bag, mat, clothes, toiletries, basically everything except food and tent. With a porter you just carry a day pack with what you need for one day at a time - water, sunscreen, jacket, camera, etc. The big difference is the altitude you will be at on the Inca Trail. It's a great experience you will always remember!

Halifax, Canada
reviews: 5
2. Re: Porters for the Inca Trail

Expect conditions to be wet and slippery at times...and the climb up to dead woman's pass is 4-5 hours uphill, mostly uneven steps. There are also some sites to explore along the way. I don't think you can walk around MP with your pack either, but there is a "pack-check" where you could store it. I'm not sure what your other hikes were like and only you can really know what you're capable of. If you change your mind, I would think you could easily book a porter.

Chicago, IL
reviews: 1
3. Re: Porters for the Inca Trail

Thank you guys for your advice! I just booked a porter and I'm feeling much less anxious about the whole thing. Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 318
4. Re: Porters for the Inca Trail

Great idea pink2303.

We have a saying here : If you can hire someone else to do the hard work for you, at a reasonable price, go ahead and do it !

5. Re: Porters for the Inca Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 19, 2009