We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 1
Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

We are staying at the Colca Lodge for 2 nights in June. I'm trying to find the best way to get to Yanque from Arequipa.

There were originally 4 of us so we were going to go the private transport route, but now there are just 2 of us so I'm considering alternative, cheaper methods. Is there a bus that goes to Yanque?

Also, if we do go the private transport route, is it easier/cheaper to arrange when we get to Arequipa? I've emailed a few companies and the price really seems to range.

Thanks!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 289
1. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Arrange and decide when in Arequipa, no need to do it in advance

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 137
2. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Take a bus to Chivay and then a taxi from there. 4M Express is good (one morning departure). They need to be booked ahead since they pick up from hotels. Your hotel in Arequipa can probably book for you.

That lodge doesn't include transfers in the price?

california
Destination Expert
3. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Other question is how are you getting from hotel to elsewhere in Colca Canyon? Eg Condor Cross.

Typically more cost effective to book a package in Arequipa including transfers, hotel and tour to stop at some of the sights in the Canyon.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 75
4. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

I'm sure colca lodge can set you up with a tour pack including bus to and from Arequipa and to see the condors. We stayed at a different hotel in Yanque last night and they set up the whole package as a pool tour with other people so it was not as pricey as a private tour and was very reasonable. Picked us up at our hotel, in my case in puno, the day before. Dropped us in Arequipa today. Made it very easy. I'm sure colca lodge, which is fancier, can do the same.

5. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Originally we wanted to avoid doing a tour because we also had enough people to make it more economically feasible to do it on our own. I have contacted Colca Lodge but the price they are asking is exorbitant so we might have to end up going through a tour

california
Destination Expert
6. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

If you take the 4-M Express bus to Chivay and then a taxi to the lodge, would Colca Lodge be able to help you just with transport/tour to the Condor Cross viewing at an affordable price?

Possibly you could find an agency on Jerusalen Street in Arequipa, that would be willing to sell you the tour without the hotel, but I'm not sure. Part of the problem with Colca Lodge is that they are not actually in town of Yanque, but down at the river so the local transport is more difficult. Not sure if they even work with the regular taxis.

Edited: 1:10 pm, May 29, 2013
7. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Hmm good to know. I thought there might be taxis and such we could hire there to see Condor Cross, etc.

I'm considering now cancelling my original reservation booked w/ the hotel, and just booking the tour that includes the hotel - I think it will work out more economically and easier this way I think I can book first day with all the picture stops, second day have independently and third day w/ the Condor cross viewing and return to Arequipa. Have emailed a couple of companies for quotes

Has anyone heard of A.I. Travel Tours? So far they're offering it at the cheapest rate

Thanks for all the advice so far

Lima, Peru
reviews: 7
8. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Did you ever find a solution to this situation?

We are due to do the very same thing in late August 2013 and are wondering how to get to Colca Lodge from Arequipa and also how to see the sights of the Colca Canyon area.

Thank you!

Nancy

9. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Hi - We ended up going with Giardino after all of the good reviews. It jsut seemed too difficult to arrange ourselves and all the quotes I was getting made a tour make more sense. They cost a bit more but we thought it was worth peace of mind and we liked that they were smaller groups.

We ended up having a lovely lovely time. Great company and we had 2 very different guides but they were both really knowledgable and enjoyable (we were with two different groups on or day 1 and 3 - did 2 independently at Colca lodge). On our first day we were with 4 other tourists and on the other, just 3.

This may have been my fave thing in Peru - the Colca region is absolutely beautiful and we found the people very friendly. Hope that helps!

Lima, Peru
reviews: 7
10. Re: Bus/transport to Yanque? (Colca Lodge)

Really appreciate this info. I had seen Giardino info and thought they looked good. This likely seals it.

Thank you very much!! Nancy