We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Making reservation for Tours to Colca Canyon & 4M-express

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 3
Making reservation for Tours to Colca Canyon & 4M-express

Later this year we will be traveling to Peru and will go from Puno to Arequipa. We would like to do Puno-Colca-Arequipa on a 2D/1N tour.

1. Is it recommended to book a tour in advance if traveling in early June?

2. How do you buy tickets for 4M express (the payment page is grossly broken). We would like to use 4M for the long distance travels (P->C & C->A)

3. Some tour companies offering the whole 2D/1N are asking for passport #s to make a reservation. I do not feel comfortable handing out my passport numbers to strangers in another country.

4. Some hotels and tours are asking me to put a significant deposit using PayPal. During the grace period, how easy is it to deal with cancellations if such a need arises.

5. We will be traveling in early June - Would we be able to book the 2D/1N colca tour when we get to Puno? We will be in Puno for only 2 nights and 1 day. Just did not want better tours with better hotels in Chivay/Yunque to get sold out when we get to Puno.

Thanks for any recommendations/ guidance.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
1. Re: Making reservation for Tours to Colca Canyon & 4M-express

Well June is busy time, so you take some risk. I went in low season (November).

I used the tour company in Arequipa to book the 4M ticket onward to Puno as well as a package that included their own van Arequipa to Chivay, hotel and touring. I used Giardino. They are reputable, I wouldn't be concerned about prepayment. Btw if you use Paypal, I believe there is a way to set it up as a credit card/Paypal where you have a chance of getting payments back (at least 3 or so years ago this was true).

On the return from Puno to Arequipa, I asked my hotel to call the 4M office, paid for it to them and got a voucher for the ticket.

Edited: 4:27 pm, January 25, 2013
Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
2. Re: Making reservation for Tours to Colca Canyon & 4M-express

My wife and I had the place we stayed in Arequipa arrange everything for us. I emailed ahead and told them I wanted to book a 2-day Colca Canyon tour with 4M tickets from Chivay to Puno on the second day. They set everything up and we paid when we arrived in Arequipa.

3. Re: Making reservation for Tours to Colca Canyon & 4M-express

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, January 27, 2014