We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 39
Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

I would like to travel on the best class of bus from Arequipa to Cusco.

I would like a seat that reclines 180 degrees, some food, maybe some wine, safely and comfort.

I am totally confused about the different types. VIP I thought was the best, but the "suite" ones seem to cost more.

I've been looking at Cruz del Sur and Oltursa, both excellent safe companies, from what I've read.

Any advice is appreciated!

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
1. Re: Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

Why not fly?

www.lan.com

www.taca.com

www.peruvianairllines.pe

San Francisco...
reviews: 39
2. Re: Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

Why not fly?

I'm not flying because I choose to take the bus, as I detailed in my question. Do you have an answer to my question? I'd appreciate it.

Boston...
reviews: 1
3. Re: Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

I've taken Cruz del Sur multiple times, twice from Arequipa to Cuzco. Basically, the chairs don't really recline completely to 180 degrees, but its still relatively comfortable. It will take you around 10 hours to reach there, so getting a good night sleep on board is important.

The Cruz del Sur suite is just VIP seats on both second and first floor. In the normal Cruz del Sur bus, the second floor is just regular seats, while the first floor is only for VIP seats (approximately 12 if I remember it correctly). Meals are served in both buses, but not for every destination (you will definitely get one from Arequipa to Cuzco, vice versa).

Alcohol is not allowed on Cruz del Sur, and make sure you are sober (or look sober) because they won't allow you on the bus if you're drunk (some middle aged European guy got taken aside while getting in the bus because he was clearly drunk). Oh, and the bus company clearly (actually for all the bus companies I have taken) states that the bathrooms (one on each floor) are only for urination purposes only. If you want to take a dump, they will stop for you.

Feel free to ask any more questions. The only reason why I'm borderline advertising this is because I've heard stories from other travelers with other bus companies, and I highly recommend this bus company.

Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 7
4. Re: Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

When I arrived in Peru, I took the Oltursa VIP service overnight. It was a great experience, nothing untoward and completely fine. 170 degrees reclining seats are the closest you'll get, but I had a solid 7 hour sleep which was as uninterrupted as my normal sleeps.

Not bad for prices either. Will be looking to use Cruz del Sur in the future to try them as well, but my experience with Oltursa was great.

As for the people asking about flying, I would avoid it for the following reasons:

a) it is extremely expensive to fly within Peru

b) Luggage is really limited and expensive to add more, unlike with busses

c) You can see more of the country (sometimes)

d) You get less affected by altitude sickness as you don't suddenly arrive 2,400m higher than where you started

and e) I don't like flying particularly, and when I've been sat on a plane for 12 hours from Amsterdam (or wherever) to Lima I don't really want to catch another flight.

Hope this helps!

Jonny

5. Re: Best bus from Arequipa to Cusco overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 12, 2013