We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 10
Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

Hi there!

Need an Arequipa expert to help us...

We arrive in Arequipa on a Saturday afternoon, and leave for Colca Canyon on a Sunday afternoon. We'd really like to get some food - possibly cerviche - in San Camilo Market. Is it open on a Sunday morning? If so, what time should we go? The alternative is to go on Saturday afternoon, but I was hoping to do other stuff on Saturday afternoon!

Also, we hear Sunday morning is a good time to visit Plaza de Armas, as there are often parades there. Do you know what time these are?

Lima, Peru
1. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

-San Camilo market is open all year.

-Parades are in the mornings.

Arequipa, Peru
2. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

Hi Joe

San Camilo Market is open everyday, from 9am 5pm.

Ceviche is a great idea, I recommend Tio Dario (located in Plaza de Yanahuara) to test the traditional food of Arequipa I recommend La Nueva Palomino (Yanahuara).

Are my options as a local.

california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
3. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

Yes, San Camilo market has some great ceviche, as well as stuffed rocoto peppers, pastel de papa, all on one plate for a few dollars. Ask for to go and then you will get the more sanitary styrofoam container and plastic fork. There are traditional foods that are made on certain days in Arequipa, on the back of the map that comes from iPeru it tells you what to look for each day. The earlier to the market the better, ceviche is ready in the morning! Also try some of the juices on the left side, if you get it to go it is in a plastic bag with a straw.

I was warned not to exit out the back side of the market, just in from the front entrance.

You can skip La Nueva Palomino IMHO. Maybe it is popular because the portion sizes are so big. Good to go with a family. maybe not so much as a solo traveler.

Edited: 6:27 pm, April 13, 2012
Lima, Peru
4. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

actually, San Camilo market is open from 5 AM to 6PM. On the other hand, you can try a good ceviche in Lima not in Arequipa. I am from Arequipa moved to Lima a couple months ago.

Edited: 7:05 pm, April 13, 2012
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 143
5. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

Ceviche is also popular in Aqp there are different styles look for the pejerrey (silverside) ceviche very unique! Seems to be that herbs are popular in the ceviche I tried in Aqp. But of course also required eating in Lima.

London, United...
reviews: 10
6. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all the advice you have given. We will definitely try the ceviche at san camilo, as well as the other foods/drinks you recommend! Best wishes, Joe

7. Re: Sunday San Camilo Market, and parade in Plaza de Armas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, June 19, 2013