We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Which Arequipa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.S.A. ( the land...
Getting to Colca Canyon and back

We will be staying in Arequipa at the Sonesta Posada del Inca for two nights ( one full day in Arequipa) then will be heading to Casa Andina in Chivay for our 2 nights in Colca. I've yet to make any arrangements for a car/guide to Colca Canyon ( Xochitl said we could do it in Arequipa after we arrived there).

I'd just like some recommendations for transport/guide to the Canyon and back. Where in Arequipa do I find tour agencies - the Plaza? Car or bus, when going to Chivay from Arequipa? Are there specific tour buses?

Also, how does this work - do the driver and/or guide stay overnight in Colca too? We won't be doing any hiking down the canyon; mainly there to take in the landscape and hopefully see some condors.

Thanks!

U.S.A. ( the land...
1. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Addendum : I read Rowej's post below mine just now :-)

but I think he/she also wanted to know about tours, rather than accommodations?

U.S.A. ( the land...
2. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Bumping this up :-)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
reviews: 306
3. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Hija:

You can make all yr required arrangements once in Arequipa with the agencies around the main plaza or better even, through yr hotel (to ensure safety)

Its better to go by private car than on a bus. The road is very bumpy and full of dust.

U.S.A. ( the land...
4. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Papi, do you have any specific tour guide recommendations? Muchas gracias!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
5. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Zarate expeditions is recommended by the Andean Travel Web site

andeantravelweb.com/peru/…arequipa

U.S.A. ( the land...
6. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Gracias again, Papi :-)

U.S.A. ( the land...
7. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

I just noticed - you have changed your avatar again! Is this your autumn look? :-)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
8. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Yep , the summer has ended in Lima.

Maryland
reviews: 18
9. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

Livinglife:

I am back from the Andes and my trip included 2 days/1 night in Colca Valley from Arequipa.

I booked a tour with Giardino Tours online. However, as Xochitl mentioned, there is a wealth of travel agency on and around the Plaza de Armas. Probably more than a hundred agencies.

I recommend travelling by car or small van. The road to Chivay is not paved all the way and the dirt road from Chivay to the Cruz del Condor is pretty rough.

I paid $80 for two as part of a small group; half for the night in Colca Valley and half for transportation+guide. That is considered somewhat pricy: while walking around the city I saw offers as low as $25/person from 2-day trips to Colca. But being in a *small* group is definitely worth the extra $10-$15

There´s a lot of moderate hiking to do along the ridge of the Canyon. We arrived there at 8 am and saw 10 condors!

Enjoy your trip!

U.S.A. ( the land...
10. Re: Getting to Colca Canyon and back

NicolasD - thank you, thank you, thank you! Very useful information. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and saw so many condors in Colca! Have taken note of your recommendations for a car or van, not bus.

What was the weather like in Colca and did you have any symptoms of altitude sickness? What sort of clothes are appropriate?

I am still wondering how the car/guide thing works : we will be staying 2 nights in Chivay ( Casa Andina) - do the driver and guide that we hire from Arequipa, stay overnight too? Or do they just drop us off and come back the next morning?