We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

Which Peru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
reviews: 15
Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

This is the plan so far, but wanted any advice or views on my suggested itinerary. Appreciated.

22nd July- arrive Lima 4.30am

23rd July- 7 days Peru HOP, which travels from Lima to Cusco seeing Nazca lines, Colca Canyon, Arequipa, and many other sites between Lima and Cusco.

29th- Arrive in Cusco

30th- 4 day jungle trail to Macchu Picchu

2nd Aug- back in Cusco

3rd Aug- Fly to Puerto Maldonado

5th Aug- Arrive back in Cusco and travel to Puno

6th- Lake titicaca & ITS islands done with local family and stay

7th Aug- Back to Puno

10th Aug- La Paz

11th Aug- Fly from La Paz at 6.20am

I have 2 days in between Puno and La Paz. Any suggestions? I could extend on one of the days or add something in. Also is it far from Puno to La Paz?

Thanks

Kamloops, Canada
reviews: 27
1. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

It seems like you will be backtracking a bit with this itinerary. If you are already going to Arequipa and Colca Canyon before going to Puno then you will travel right past Puno (Lake Titicaca) on the way.

It depends on which route and which border crossing you go through but between Puno and La Paz you could either head to Copacabana and visit Islas Del Sol or stop at Tiwanaku on the way. I would go through Copacabana and if you still want to see Tiwanaku then do it as a day trip from La Paz.

If you do visit Lake Titicaca earlier in your itinerary and you want to get from Cusco to La Paz quickly then www.amaszonas.com has flights but only on certain days.

Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 14
2. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

You should allot more days to Cusco and SV. Most people spend from 6 to 7 days in the area (and that's not taking into account if they are doing the IT or any alternative trek).

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 43
3. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

I agree with Mayflower you are losing a lot of time to traveling and you don’t appear to have allowed any time for the Sacred Valley, you could maybe go with the 6 day Peru Hop route, or even just drop the Puerto Maldonado, one day in PM is not much time and you won’t be able to get very far into the jungle, better off skipping it.

You could also save a day by choosing a 3 day Inca Jungle trek (unless your plan is the Inca Trail); here is a like to a company that has a 3 day jungle trek to Machu Picchu http://www.cuscoperuviajes.com/

Newcastle, United...
reviews: 15
4. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

Thanks everyone for the advice. We are booking today. The revised itinary:

21st July- depart Newcastle

22nd July - arrive in Lima at 4.30 am

23rd July- 9am PERU HOP Paracas

24 July- Paracas- ICA

25 th July- Nazca

26th July- Nazca- Arequipa

27th July- Arequipa (day 1 Colca canyon)

28th July- Arequipa (day 2 Colca canyon)

29th July- Arequipa- Cusco ( end of Peru HOP)

29th- 30th Cusco

31st July - 4 day jungle trek to Macchu Picchu

3rd Aug- Cusco/Sacred Valley

5th Aug- Fly from Cusco to Puerto Maldanado (3 day Amazon)

7th Aug-Cusco

10th Aug-La Paz

11th Aug- fly home 6.20am

What do we think? Got some days extra for travelling and if we want an extra night somewhere.

Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 63
5. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

Better idea to have a few days in Cuzco at high altitude before doing the trek.

Just out of curiosity, why are you going to La Paz? It takes time and hassle to get there and isn't all that great. The best about Bolivia is the Salar de Uyuni and surrounding area for which you'd need about 4 days.

Edited: 5:00 pm, February 15, 2014
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
6. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

Try to squeeze in more days to Bolivia so you can go to Salar de Uyuni, I agree.

Cusco, Peru
7. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

They are doing the Jungle trek Cecile74, no need to acclimate in Cusco for that one.

Amsterdam, The...
8. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

Ah okay... at what altitude is that Jungle Trek? I needed acclimatizing just for walking Cuzco's streets :-) Especially if it's for hours of walking every day.

Cusco, Peru
9. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

The typical Jungle Trek does start at a high altitude (around 4000 meters), but the people are starting a downhill bike ride here so there is really no strenuous activity, and time at this altitude is limited, the group would then ride downhill ending the day in Santa Maria which is only about 1800 meters the next 1 to 2 days are spent hiking to Aguas Calientes at low altitude and the final day is Machu Picchu. Altitude wise a very easy trek, but not one to consider during the rainy season as the road is subject to slides.

Amsterdam, The...
10. Re: Views on my itinerary for Peru please???

Thanks, sounds like a nice combination of biking and hiking.