We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations/ Safety for travel to South America

Which Peru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Vaccinations/ Safety for travel to South America

Hi

I am planning a 15 day trip to South America. I will be visiting Lima for about five days (with perhaps Machhu Picchu for two days) , three days in Medellin and four in Rio.

I wonder what is the regular travel advisor for vaccinations/ preventives against tropical diseases - I have had a history (15 yrs back of severe Malaria) and do not wish to take any chances. I will be carrying mosquito skin repellent and wear long sleeves.... I am not venturing into the tropical forest or the amazon - atleast thats not planned yet...

Also, any good advice on safety... i hear muggings and theft is not uncommon. I do plan to study favelas and barriadas - so might be venturing into some rough neigborhoods....

Thanks

SA

Evansville, Indiana
Destination Expert
for Peru
reviews: 14
1. Re: Vaccinations/ Safety for travel to South America

This site is very helpful

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/list

On the other hand, I hope that you are aware that MP is not close to Lima. If you really want to visit MP, I think you should consider spending less time in Lima. Also, your trip requires a lot of flying time, are you taking that into account?

Edited: 1:09 pm, June 19, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 84
2. Re: Vaccinations/ Safety for travel to South America

Check on the requirements for yellow fever vaccination in order to get your visa for Brazil. If you are arriving from an endemic country like Peru, you will need to have the certificate. When I applied for my visa in Quito, I had to present the certificate along with other documents to the Brazilian consulate to get the visa.

Hep A, typhoid, and an updated tetanus booster are all worthwhile to have whether you travel or not.

Ica, Peru
reviews: 17
3. Re: Vaccinations/ Safety for travel to South America

Here is the best advice I can give you, and it has nothing to do with your question:

Visiting Brazil, Peru and Colombia within 15 days is a BAD IDEA.

4. Re: Vaccinations/ Safety for travel to South America

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 21, 2014