We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Peruvian Itinenary

Which Peru hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 6
Help with Peruvian Itinenary

I am going to Peru for three and a half weeks and would like to put together a loose itinerary for the trip.

I am planning on staying in Lima for two days only and then heading south for two weeks - we were thinking of Arequipa and surrounds, Lake Titicaca, Cusco. We would like to also do a 5 day trek to Machu Picchu and then have 5 more days to spare. We wanted to go up to the Amazon or rainforests but don't know if this is cramming in too much?

I like to get a real sense of a place when I travel and not only do tourist things. I like nature scenery and am quite adventurous.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Warsaw, Poland
reviews: 22
1. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

Hey!

If you fly from Lima to Pucallpa or (better) to Iquitos you could do a 3 or 4-days jungle trip and get a sense of Amazon adventure. This is perfectly doable in 4 days. And you're right - don't spend too much time in Lima. There are far more interesting places in Peru. I highly recommend Arequipa and Colca Canyon. Sacred Valley between Cuzco and MP is another must-see.

Take care!

Kasia.

Johannesburg, South...
2. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

Cool, thanks.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 43
3. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

If you want to see some country I would suggest spending some time on a bus, it is slower but you seem to have enough time scheduled. You could start with a bus from Lima to Pisco (overnight), Pisco to Nazca (stay 1-2 nights), Nazca to Cusco. As there is a lot in the Cusco area and you are interested in a 5 day trek to Machu Picchu, I would recommend 8 days in Cusco. From here you can book jungle excursions (45min - 1hr away) and you could take a bus to visit Puno (lake Titicaca), Arequipa, Colca Canyon and then return to Cusco, Catch a flight to Lima and return home.

Adding your 5 days to the two weeks (19 days), a rough itinerary could be

Day 1 & 2 Lima

Day 3 Pisco

Day 4 & 5 Nazca

Day 6 – 14 Cusco, Inca Trail & Jungle trek

Day 15 Puno & Lake Titicaca

Day 16 & 17 Arequipa & Colca Canyon

Day 18 Return to Cusco

Day 19 Fly to Lima

4. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, November 22, 2012
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
5. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

I understand Lyle runs a b&b and wants everyone to spend the maximum amount of time in Cusco, but he is not doing anyone a favor by recommending that they travel back from Arequipa to Cusco (by bus?) to then turn around and fly to Lima.

There are direct flights from Arequipa to Lima.

Johannesburg, South...
6. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

Yes, our thinking was flying into Arequipa, exploring the areas there, taking a bus to Puno, Cusco, Manu and then flying out of Cusco back to Lima.

Thanks for all the advice.

Cusco, Peru
reviews: 43
7. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

To mlgb, yes I run a B&B in Huarocondo (not quite Cusco) and the reason I recommended the Bus in this instance is because of Silke G's statement

'I like to get a real sense of a place when I travel and not only do tourist things. I like nature scenery and am quite adventurous.'

To get a real sense of a place, take the bus. To save time, take a plane.

My purpose for being on these forums is not to drum up business, It is to provide my opinions and first hand information, from someone living in the region, to those who have questions or are looking for advice. I made two trips to Cusco prior to moving here and have traveled the area by plane, bus, and car all of which have their benefits and drawbacks. All of my opinions are based on my experience and information available at the time, not my B&B. So please do not challenge my motives.

To Silke G, those will be two one way flights and will cost you more than a round trip from Lima to Cusco. I did a quick search for airfare, assuming a 1 weak trip, from May 4 to May 11 for two adults. Round trip from Lima to Cusco on Star Peru would run $343.54 total for 2. If you take 2 one way flights, Lima to Arequipa on Taca came up at $309.00 for two and the Cusco to Lima leg is $353.10 for two on Taca. You may save a little time, but it may also cost you double in airfare, Just one more thing to consider.

8. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:35 pm, November 30, 2012
9. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

Removed on: 4:35 pm, March 16, 2013
Edited: 4:35 pm, March 16, 2013
california
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Palm Desert
reviews: 156
10. Re: Help with Peruvian Itinenary

I would think taking that day and spending it in a local community would give a bit more interaction than sitting on a bus?

Adding the day in Colca Canyon would be a recommendation for starters. Or a homestay perhaps in Patachancha (Awamaki can set these up). Or if you have enough days, do the Lares Trek.

Good luck with your planning, OP. I'm sure you will enjoy no matter where.