We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Rockville Centre...
reviews: 1
Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Way back in January I mentioned the Galápagos documentary film ("Satan Came to Eden") with screenings at various theaters around the country. And here's a new addition to the list: Washington DC "Filmfest DC" on April 20 & 21. Cate Blanchett does the voice-over for one of the characters, and there's more info here:

www.galapagos.to/movies/gellergoldfine.htm

Note to Heather: Sorry, I still don't have any info on when the film will be available for sale, but I'll let you know as soon as I can.

17 replies to this topic
Toronto
1. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

By the title of this thread I thought this was going to be more morbid, as I've seen helicopters flying around in recent days. The official website for the movie has recently been updated as well, probably the best place to keep an eye on details. http://galapagosaffair.com/

Rockville Centre...
2. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Well, it was reasonably morbid at the time (ca. 1932-33). I'm doing the intro and post-screening Q&A in DC later this month, so if anyone from here actually attends, make sure to stop and say hello. And in the meantime, give a holler if you find out what those helicopters are up to -- maybe looking for some stranded tourists?

Toronto
3. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Ahh, the one helicopter the other week was a heart attack on a tour, the poor fellow was in a coma in the hospital. Not sure about the helicopter I saw going about last week.

Rockville Centre...
4. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

uh-oh -- Galápagos is no place to have a heart attack. I remember not too many years ago someone asking a guide what to do in case of a medical emergency. Guide's reply was to grab a fast cab to the airport and hope you live long enough to make it to the mainland. Or go to the hospital in Puerto Ayora while funeral arrangements are being made. Sure hope things have improved a bit by now.

Kansas
reviews: 25
5. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Hi John. The movie is going to be here in Kansas City next weekend at the Kansas City Film Festival.

Rockville Centre...
6. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Hey Jayhawk, I hope you're able to attend the K. C. screening. I just returned from the opening in NYC, and will do the honors at Filmfest DC at the April 19-20 screenings (ie, intro comments, Q&A at the end). Anyway, if you do see it next weekend, please let me know what you thought -- good, bad, or whatever.

Kansas
7. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

We are going next Saturday night and I am sure we will like it. Having read Floreana, it should be especially good.

Rockville Centre...
8. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Great!! And I hope you'll post a review here after you see it. It would be good to read an objective review by someone other than me<g>. Actually I can't be objective at all, since all the living participants are old friends, and so are a few of those who are no longer with us. So I get a kick out of seeing them in the film. And just FWIW, the complete text of Dore Strauch's book (both editions, + Ritter's drawings) are on my website, here:

http://www.galapagos.to/texts/strauch-1.php

Kansas
9. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Bought tickets this morning and will definitely provide a review. We will be in the Galapagos 3 weeks from tomorrow for a 8D/7N trip. I only have 2 regrets: 1. We will not be going to Floreana as we have a western itinerary. 2. You will not be our guide. Your website is absolutely amazing!!

Edited: 11:00 am, April 06, 2014
Rockville Centre...
10. Re: Death in Galápagos, pt. II

Jayhawk, don't feel bad about missing Floreana -- PO Bay is interesting, ditto the flamingo lagoon at Punta Cormorant and possibly snorkeling at Devil's Crown. But for wildlife, there's lots of other places that are much better. And you're lucky I'm not your (or, anyone's) guide. I can tell a flamingo from an albatross if the light is right, but that's about it<g>. And thanks for the kind words about my site -- hope you find it semi-useful, although there's almost zero natural history on it.

Reply to: Death in Galápagos, pt. II
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted