We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guayas Condo

California
Guayas Condo

Mr. R: Thanks for your quick reply. Don't know how to get back to you (my first time using this site),

The condo is Punta Centinela Inn, KM101 Via Santa Elena, Guayas.

So you may be correct that it is actually in Salinas. From reading other posting, I saw there is a new road going from Guayaquil to Salinas (the airport we are flying into). Arriving at 4 pm. I speak a little Spanish, enough to get by. Do you still think it is unsafe to rent a car and drive ourselves? We will be there for a week and I wanted to travel and see the coast, etc. But if we shouldn't do that, can you tell us what company we can use for the 2 hr. drive from the airport or how I can prearrange transportation. Some of the posting have said that the taxi's are not safe either.

Thanks

Cuenca, Ecuador
reviews: 13
1. Re: Guayas Condo

All you have to do is hit reply to this post and it will keep you on the same post. Santa Elena is near Salinas but is a different town. Knowing that you speak some spanish is a bit of help. Coastal people in Ecuador speak fast and cut their words short. So keep that in mind. I once traveled through there with a friend of mine who was born in Mexico and she could hardly understand the people. I could see why you would enjoy your own car so that you could drive up the coast. The worst is getting through Guayaquil. It would also help if you are used to big city driving. The traffic is crazy and they just form their own lanes. So three lanes become 10. Again after dark it would be better for you to stay the night in Guayaquil. The sun sets about 6:30 give or take most of the year. My biggest concern would be that if you were to get really lost, there are some awfull neighborhoods. Once you are on the Highway going tword Santa Elena it is mostly country side and then turns to desert. There is a toll booth so have some change with you. As far as car jackings I just wouldn't stop for anyone along the road except the police of course. I would also take full coverage insurance for any accidents or if the car were to be stolen. If you would rather have some one pick you up I would contact who you are renting the condo from and see if they can arrange for a pick up.

2. Re: Guayas Condo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 14, 2009