We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day cruise?

Canberra
reviews: 12
5 day cruise?

Thinking of a 5 day cruise because of budget & time. If you have done a short cruise I would love to hear your thoughts, especially if it was a very positive experience.

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Galapagos Islands
reviews: 17
1. Re: 5 day cruise?

Dear Natalie,

cruises will range between $350/$400 to $800 per night - there are cheaper ones, but I don't recommend those... see some of the posts from disappointed people on this forum. You generally get what you pay for, but starting at the lower range, you should be able to find some decent well-run ships.

Warmest regards,

Heather Blenkiron

Canberra
2. Re: 5 day cruise?

Thank you.

San Diego...
reviews: 17
3. Re: 5 day cruise?

Wife and I did a 4 day cruise on the M/V Santa Cruz through Metropolitan Touring about 3 yrs ago. We flew from Quito to Guayaquil , changed planes and took a roughly 2 and a half hr flight to the Galapagos. Landed on San Cristobal, the M/V Santa Cruz was moored just off the island and we were promptly ferried out to the boat.

The tour(felt like an expedition!) was amazing. They split us into groups by language, and offered an itinerary that you could suit to yourself. They offered guided hikes of the islands led by professional, courteous conservationists, as well as snorkeling for various skill levels.

You could choose to skip the snorkeling for extended hikes, or vice-versa. I liked hiking in the AM and snorkeling the afternoon...whatever suits your tastes.

At the same time the boat had the feel of a cruise ship, great menu imo, breakfast buffet, the whole nine yards. A gorgeous dining room, bar, sitting area, library, and wifi connection. We paid for the larger suit, but even the smaller rooms looked nice, each with its own bathroom....

In our limited time we saw San Cristobal, Espanola, Floreana, Fernandina, and Isabella Island - as well as visiting the Darwin Center and the giant tortoises. I could go on for two pages with what I saw on and those islands and in the water.

Only drawback: this trip is not cheap....but it's money well spent if you do it right.

Was about to post all this in a review of the company. We also used them for a tour of Quito, and was impressed by their service. Would definitely use them again.

www.discovergalapagos.com/santacruz/index.htm

Feel free to post any other questions, or pm me...

Edited: 10:10 pm, December 02, 2012
Canberra
4. Re: 5 day cruise?

Thank you so much for your reply. We have now decided to go ahead and book the 4 day cruise. I hope we will enjoy it as much as you did. We will be on M/V Galapagos Legend which looks about the same size as the ship you were on.

5. Re: 5 day cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, December 17, 2013