We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

Which Cuenca hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

I am retired and looking for a well-attended Spanish language school in Cuenca for 2 weeks in June or July of 2013. My Spanish is good enough to converse. Which schools have the most students? How about the best location? Which has the best reputation? Thanks much.

8 replies to this topic
sonoma
reviews: 22
1. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

I just returned from a month in Cuenca and took lessons at Simon Bolivar School in heart of city center. People were nice and weekend Sat. Day trips good way to practice as you see some sites. It is best if you know some Spanish due to fact that the teachers do not speak much English and method of teaching focused on grammar.

Vermont
reviews: 24
2. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

Thanks for this information!

Guayaquil, Ecuador
reviews: 23
3. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

Hola,

I can recommend the Ailola Latino School. They are in Cuenca and as well in other cities in Ecuador or in South America. I had a great experience with them. There are many students, from all over the world. The atmosphere is very friendly. I always enjoyed to relax and learn a bit in the small garden from the school. The school is in the city center.

Link to Ailola Latino Cuenca: ailolalatino.com/en/…destination.php

Greeting and enjoy Cuenca

Vermont
reviews: 24
4. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

Thanks! At this time I am hoping to focus on applied language, practical use , conversation. My goal is to be able to manage basics of life and getting around. I appreciate the suggestion.

Guayaquil, Ecuador
reviews: 23
5. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

You are welcome.

They have a real great mix with grammar and conversation. I learned a lot there.

If you want more infos just contact me

Greets Tom

Cuenca, Ecuador
reviews: 8
6. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

Here's another vote for Simon Bolivar Language School. On Luis Cordero, just North of Gran Colombia. There is also a hostel just North of that (Hostal La Castellana) that will give you a rate brake if you are attending the school. Also, the school can set up a home stay program, if you really want to immerse yourself.

Cambridge, England...
7. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

Hi Everyone,

I just want to recommend Sampere Language School in Cuenca. I have just finished 5 weeks there and really enjoyed the school and had a lovely host family. I thought the quality of teaching and mix of grammer/conversation was excellent and really enjoyed the activities too. I think some students didn't fully anticipate the climate in Cuenca (which I would describe as 'fresh' and cold at night due to the altitude) and also how challenging it can be being total immersed into a new language and living with a new family. I didn't find this a problem, I thought it was an incredibly rewarding experience and can't recommend it enough, but it is important to remember this is not a conventional holiday!

Enjoy and best wishes

Matagalpa, Nicaragua
reviews: 7
8. Re: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?

I recommend Yanapuma Spanish School located on streets Simon Bolivar 6-23 and Hermano Miguel, just 2 blocks from Park Calderon in central Cuenca. They use a "communication" technique called the Cervantes Methodology that focuses on functional conversational Spanish. I attended Yanapuma a few years ago, and within a month I was speaking enough Spanish to get around and converse about basic things. Then I returned a year later for another 5 weeks, and that gave me an intermediate level of fluency. I continued with Skype lessons just once a week and now I´m completely fluent! Plus, Yanapuma is a nonprofit school -- 100% of their profits go to help poor indigenous communities throughout Ecuador. A great school and your money goes for a good cause at the same time. Here´s their website:

www.yanapumaspanish.org but be sure to click on the part about studying in Cuenca because they have two schools -- in Quito and Cuenca.

Edited: 1:15 pm, October 30, 2013
Reply to: Best Spanish language school in Cuenca?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted