We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Round trip Quito surroundings

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sandnes, Norway
reviews: 5
Round trip Quito surroundings

Hi! We are a Norwegian couple who wants to explore Ecuador and the Amazon in 2014. We will spend 4 days in the jungle and 4-5 days in Quito and the surroundings. When is the best time to visit the jungle? We would prefer not to go during the most rainy season. What do you recommend?

Is it safe to rent a car and make day trips around Quito? What do you recommend us to see around Quito? We love hiking and experience the nature and wildlife. Should we make a round trip instead and sleep in different places? What do you recommend? We want to travel alone and not in a group. Is that safe? I do speak Spanish more or less fluently to driving off tourist tracks should be possible.

We are planning to book a jungle trips from Tena. Is it safe to drive from Quito to Tena alone? How far is it? Google maps says 3 hours. Is that correct? Is there any place between Tena and Quito you would recommend us to stop and stay overnight? Is also Tena a nice place to visit?

Thanks you very much in advance!

Golden, Colorado
reviews: 123
1. Re: Round trip Quito surroundings

I can try to answer some of your questions.

1. Is it safe to rent a car and make day trips around Quito?

I have rented a car and now own a car. I´m not sure what you mean by ¨safe¨ to rent a car so I´m guessing. I rented a car (and people I know) from Budget and simon rental car without problems. I once rented from Advantage at the old airport and they stole my credit card info and made fraudulent charges.

As far as driving around and parking your car... I feel comfortable and haven´t had any problems leaving my car parked at spots but I do try to park in public places. Having said that, I don´t keep anything visible left in the car. Someone I know left their car parked, on a main street, in front of a restaurant to eat and someone smashed their window and stole their backpack.

2.What do you recommend us to see around Quito? We love hiking and experience the nature and wildlife.

there are lots of topics on this questions already but a few suggestions

- take the teleferico and hike up to pichincha

- go to mindo and hike to the waterfalls

3. Should we make a round trip instead and sleep in different places?

I would not come back to quito everytime. Lots of traffic and too much time spent in the car.

4. We want to travel alone and not in a group. Is that safe?

My gf and I travel alone in our car quite often and never had problems.

5. Is it safe to drive from Quito to Tena alone? How far is it? Google maps says 3 hours. Is that correct?

I drove this before, yes its safe and the road is pretty nice, but curvy and hilly. It rained a lot while we tried to drive it and the road was covered in mud for a few hours however so we had to wait for them to clean it up. I would say more like 4-5 hours. Google maps underestimates driving distances in Ecuador since the roads are curvy and hilly.

6. Is there any place between Tena and Quito you would recommend us to stop and stay overnight?

Papallacta to enjoy the hot springs. Its about a 2 hour drive from quito.

7. Is also Tena a nice place to visit?

I enjoyed it and felt very safe there. I would highly recommend staying at the ¨la casa del abuelo¨. We went white water rafting and went to Misahualli nearby to see the monkeys.

A possible itinerary would be

Quito - Papallacta - Tena - Banos - Quito

Edited: 9:49 am, October 28, 2013
2. Re: Round trip Quito surroundings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 30, 2014