We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
Spanish Language Schools in Quito

I am trying to narrow down a school to study Spanish at in Quito, Ecuador. I am looking for one to one classes, flexible commitment time (I don't want to do a full 20 hour weekly package for example), strong educational structure/philosophy, a combination of grammar and conversation and located more or less in central Quito. I would love to hear some recent, first hand experiences. Thanks!

26 replies to this topic
quito
11. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Read my post on Colon Spanish school ; I think it;s under salsa& spanish schools William

12. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Hola! I recently returned to the States after spending 2 months in Quito and let me start by saying that you have picked a truly amazing city to go to. In my opinion, it's the perfect blend of old world and modern Latin culture filled with some of the most humble people I've ever met. I highly recommend Cristobal Colin's language school located on colon right near La Mariscal. I began classes at an extremely basic level and left at a near fluent proficiency. My experience was with a professor Monica who really challenged me but also made classes extremely fun and tailored to my learning style. They are patient, very accessible, and have students from all walks of life - you will not go wrong with Cristobal Colon! Also don't forget to pick up some free biscuits and coffee that's always brewing :)

Quito, Ecuador
13. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Hello!

My name is Robin Stienaers and I am a tourism student. I am in Ecuador right now for my internship. When I arrived in Quito I could not speak Spanish. That is why I decided to take 2 weeks of Spanish classes in Yanapuma . So every morning from 9 to 1 I had private lessons Spanish. My teacher was a native speaker and I learned really a lot. In the afternoon I was free to visit Quito. Yanapuma offers as well several activities like for example free Salsa lessons every Tuesday or visiting Otavalo as a weekend excursion. I liked the lessons a lot and it is a pity that I did not have more time to study Spanish in such a friendly international environment. It was also possible to use their internet or computers for free. I did not have my own computer so I was lucky that I could use this. My teacher told me that Yanapuma has several other programs like studying in Cuenca or in the jungle. And he told me that Yanapuma Foundation also has several voluntary projects.

Good Luck!

14. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Thank you so much to everyone who posted so much helpful infprmation in this forum. It sounds like there are a few strong schools for me to choose from! Thanks!

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 74
15. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Ulty, do beware of the "one-post wonders" who join TA to write a glowing review, with no other contributions. Those posts always raise a red flag.

Tokyo, Japan
reviews: 1
16. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

I took a Spanish course at Cristobal Colon Spanish School for 2 weeks in Novemver last year.

The school is very well managed by Jose, director. The teaching is bacically one-on-one.

Jose is one of the authors of a Spanish language textbook. The teaching methodlogy there is well established.

The location of the school is good, very close to trolley bus stops of two main lines. It is in the new city, close to restaurants and shops.

My instructor was Merce. She is a good and dedicated teacher.

Quito, Ecuador
17. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

I have just completed my 2 week intensive course at Cristobal and definitely feel my Spanish has improved. My teacher, Monica, was great - patient, very easy to get on with and with a great sense of humour (extremely important when attempting to get me to understand grammar!) and very clear at explaining the grammatical rules to me - and also proved to be a pretty good tour guide when she took me out and about to practice speaking with locals and to see some of the city during our afternoon lessons, which I´d highly recommend doing - practice is far more effective when in front of a real person who has a puzzled look on their face and stands between you and what you want to buy / see / go!

I also stayed at Tutamanda Hostal and can recommend it also - my room was very clean, appeared to be newly refurbished (it was the wee single room upstairs at the back), with a lovely en suite bathroom and very comfy bed. The kitchen is also very well equipped and overall it was great value for being so close to the city and with markets and transport within easy walking distance ($13.50 per night when I stayed, it´s cheaper if you stay more than 21 nights though).

Overall the classes and accomodation were great value.

west chester PA
reviews: 7
18. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

I studied briefly at the Cristobal Colon Spanish Language School in July 2014. The owner was great about meeting me at the airport and doing the return trip. Quito is a lovely city, with much to see and do. The school is adequate, clean, and the teachers are quite friendly. I cannot comment on the curriculum as I really just wanted someone to talk with a few hours per day (had done basic spanish in Guatemala a few times), and my teacher was willing to be flexible. We often walked to the market or around the city, making the spanish learning practical and useful. Compared to my experience in Guatemala Cristobal Colon was a bit low on frills (no bound learning books) but perfectly adequate.

reviews: 21
19. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

I just finished a 3 week Spanish course at Cristobal Colon Spanish School. I have to say it was great from beginning to the end. The director, Jose, is very efficient getting back to you when you contact him. We were able to arrange our home stay with Olga and Marcello before we got to Quito. Olga made us feel welcomed all the time while we were there. My teacher Maria Gusta,Magus in short, was excellent. I made a lot of progress in the last 3 weeks. She made the classes entertaining and educative. I had a wonderful time studying with her. Everyone else at the school was very friendly as well. I also took classes in Banks at Mayras Spanish School but have to say Colon was a lot more professional and fun at the same time. I can highly recommend Cristobal Colon, my teacher Magus and the home stay at Olga. Sad to leave! Also it is advisable, if you are planning to spend more than 2 weeks, to get a membership from South American Explorers Club as you will get a dollar of for every hour at Cristobal Colon. Best of luck with learning Spanish!

Berlin, Germany
20. Re: Spanish Language Schools in Quito

Hey,

another recommondation:

Im in Quito at the moment and just finished my spanish program. I Also can recommend Ailola Quito (http://www.Ailolaquito.com). I dont know HOW flexible they are, I just took 20 hours every morning and was fine with that.

BUT they are really central located... in the heart of Centro Historico, which was a really good point!

The prices are fair and the teachers are very competent. If you want to practice particular topics or just want to communicate thats fine. They will concentrate on your needs. I took the first to weeks just for Gramma and the last week only for conversation. Helped a lot!

So enjoy ur time in this amazing country!! :)

Reply to: Spanish Language Schools in Quito
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted