We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit with children in Quito...???

Which Quito hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Places to visit with children in Quito...???

We arrive the 1st December 2012 and just in time for the Fiestas de Quito and Xmas!!!

I am travelling with my husband & two children (7yr & 4yr) and I was wondering if anyone can recommend any child friendly tours or places to visit.

We are staying for 4weeks and hope to also go visit Ibarra, Guayaquil, Cuenca, Salcedo, Riobamba & Salinas

new york
reviews: 9
1. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

Quito is very festive lots going on during las Fiestas de Quito, Mindo may be an interesting place to visit with your kids, la mitad del mundo, the Zoo en el bosque de Guallabama may be another place both children may enjoy. You may have some trouble entertaining your 4 year old, but just seeing the different scenery may keep them interested. Make plans to visit a school so they can see the difference between how their school is and how other children are taught. My daughter ( born raised in the USA) has been teaching in Quito for the past 3 years in a little school called El Puente. maybe you and your children can spend a morning at the school! Good luck and enjoy! If you want more info on this let me know.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 84
2. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

Parque Carolina is a big park that is very popular with families, especially on weekends. You can stroll, the kids can play on the equipment, rent a bike (there's a BMX track and a skateboard park there), visit the arboretum, visit the herpertarium and planetarium, buy all sorts of food, maybe even join a soccer game.

The enormous, wooded Parque Metropolitano is also very popular. There is playground equipment, even a mini zipline, and lots of places to picnic in the woods, meadows, or developed areas. A lot of families will pitch a tent and spend the day, putting the little ones in the tent for their naps.

Sydney
reviews: 13
3. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

Thanks Leino & Azubeceadora.

I have looked into Mindo, el bosque de Guallabama and el parque metropolitano as I had not heard about them before. They all seem interesting and have been added to my list of places to visit.

Thank you Leino too for the great idea of visiting a school. I will look into that and perhaps organise something with a school close to where we are staying.

Thaks again guys!

Redmond
reviews: 60
4. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

Science Museum. Yaku (Water) Museum. The train to Boliche. The double decker bus can keep them entertained. There's an ice skating center at CCI. At Plaza de las Américas right next to the Gymboree there's also a nice place for children, you can have lunch and go to the movies later there. On sundays they close Av. Amazonas for Ciclopaseo. Nice place, too. Right, the Teleferiqo is overrated, but the Vulqano Park could be nice. There' s a vivarium at Parque La Carolina. They might have some more children activities at the building inside the Parque (Shyris y Rumipamba) and if you are willing to engage in local teaching/school relationships perhaps you should get in touch with Arteducarte.

Sydney, Australia
5. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

Gracias Bureado,

I will look into the science & water museums as Im sure my kids would like that. The ice skating sounds great too, even I would give that a go...lol!

Thank you for the info. We are getting very excited as we fly out in 33 days!

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 32
6. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

How was the trip?? We will be in Quito with our two kids in February and I'm wondering about the effect of the high altitude...

Thanks!

:) T

7. Re: Places to visit with children in Quito...???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 06, 2014