We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week trip in February

Which Ecuador hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 4
One week trip in February

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some ideas for a one week trip to Ecuador in Feb 2013. We are planning on spending three nights in the Otavalo/Cotacachi area and 3 nights in Quito Area. I have one night left in between that I am not sure where to go to? I was thinking about Termas de Papallacta but they don't have a room available on the day we want to go there. Any suggestions for any other area to visit in the vicinity and also, any suggestions for must do things in Otavalo and Quito area.

Thanks!!

Quito, Ecuador
reviews: 2
1. Re: One week trip in February

Some places close to Quito for potential overnights include:

*Pululahua Crater (one of only two inhabited volcanic craters in the world): Here, there are wonderful opportunities for hiking, biking or horseback riding through the tropical and varied landscapes of the crater.

*Cotopaxi National Park area: stay overnight in a peaceful, warm hacienda on the windswept plains of the paramo (highlands)

*Mindo: Tropical cloud forest with fantastic bird watching opportunities, chocolate tastings, tubing, waterfall exploring and canopy tours

As for must do things in Otavalo:

*Are you interested in horseback riding? The ride up to Mojanda Lakes is just gorgeous

*A fun/unique place to check out is Rio Blanco Bed and Brew where the owners create their own micro-brews and serve delicious meals in their outdoor garden. They also have four rooms following natural themes such as fire, water, light, earth

*Will you be there on a Saturday? This is the grandest market day and the animal market is worth stopping by..it begins early at 6am and is over by 9am so be prepared to yawn if you choose this option :)

In Quito, I highly recommend dining one night at Pims Panecillo (they have a few locations, Panecillo is the BEST). Make a reservation so you get a table by the window and enjoy views of the twinkling lights of the historic center below you.

*Teleferiqo cable car/gondola takes you up the slopes of the nearby volcano to stunning views of the city stretched out below you ($8.50pp)

*You can take a guided walking tour through El Centro historic area to get an idea of the highlights (sign up in an office in the corner of Plaza Grande across from the Presidential Palace and next to the church)

*There is now a hop-on-hop-off tour bus that rides by major highlights...again, a great way to learn the "lay of the land"

I hope that gets you started! Definitely let us all know if you come up with questions during the planning process

Best

Nicole

San Jose, California
2. Re: One week trip in February

Thanks Nicole for helping with such a wonderful itinerary. I am going to check out all the places you mentioned and will let you know if I have more questions. Thank you!!

3. Re: One week trip in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:05 pm, December 15, 2012
San Jose, California
4. Re: One week trip in February

Thanks Diego. The link should be quite helpful in planning our moves from Otavalo to Quito and surrounding areas. I will for sure look into Cotapaxi. If we are not able to stay there, maybe we can do a day trip.

5. Re: One week trip in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 18, 2013