We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ravenous for info on Chile

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
ravenous for info on Chile

I am planning a trip to Chile the first of next year, perhaps an extended stay., even long term. I would like information on accommodations, apartments/house rentals verus hostels or other resouces. I find a lot of rentals through real estate agencies, which are newer places and very expensive. Any leads on where to go to search for older apartments or homes for rent (possibly through the owners themselves) or even land for sale in a more secluded area away from the crowded cities, which would be less expensive to purchase and build there. Also, I am wondering about the job market in Chile and the difficulty of someone from another country obtaining employment.

I guess I want it all........LOL....I want to be there today!

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
11. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

Before I moved to the coast, I lived on the top floor (19th) of a high rise in Santiago Centro. It was north facing so I received the sun almost the entire day and I was only 2-3 blocks away from Iglesia San Francisco, barrio Paris-Londres and the Estado/Ahumada area. I had the best seat in town on my balcony to watch the fireworks from Torre Entel on New Years Eve.

A fellow gringo friend of mine though that rented in Providencia always felt a little uncomfortable in Santiago Centro whereas I lived there for five years and had no problem being in a more "authentic" Chilean environment. The area DOES get dodgy though at nights, weekends and holidays when the normal workforce vacates the area.

If I (had/were forced to) move back to Santiago, I would focus on the area north of Alameda on the other side of Cerro Santa Lucia around Lastarria/Merced area as it appears to be classier but still very Chilean.

NEW YORK
reviews: 6
12. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

I lived in Chile for 18 years and lived in Las Condes. Judging for what you’re looking for I definitely do not recommend that area. But there are much nicer areas in Stgo. where you can get what you’re looking for without being in "centro" Santiago. When I left, Barrio Brasil had a great "face-lift" marinating it's authenticity. Nice old buildings got “recycled”; great project!!

I personally don’t like to live so down-town in the middle of the "smog". We bought an apartment in ñuñoa for the time when decide to move back there. I fell that ñuñoa has great transportation everywhere (especially with all the new subway lines), and it still has the neighborhood feeling, but also a "life". Plaza ñuñoa is always full of life.

There’s another reality you should face if you will be far away for part of the year is that there is a bit more insecurity now than a few years ago. There are way more break-ins in apartments (even with people in there homes, which didn’t happen before). So a building without a doorman or some kind of security is something to think about in your case. Normally older buildings do not have doormen’s; newer building do.

NEW YORK
reviews: 6
13. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

I lived in Chile for 18 years and lived in Las Condes. Judging for what you’re looking for I definitely do not recommend that area. But there are much nicer areas in Stgo. where you can get what you’re looking for without being in "centro" Santiago. When I left, Barrio Brasil had a great "face-lift" marinating it's authenticity. Nice old buildings got “recycled”; great project!!

I personally don’t like to live so down-town in the middle of the "smog". We bought an apartment in ñuñoa for the time when decide to move back there. I fell that ñuñoa has great transportation everywhere (especially with all the new subway lines), and it still has the neighborhood feeling, but also a "life". Plaza ñuñoa is always full of life.

There’s another reality you should face if you will be far away for part of the year is that there is a bit more insecurity now than a few years ago. There are way more break-ins in apartments (even with people in there homes, which didn’t happen before). So a building without a doorman or some kind of security is something to think about in your case. Normally older buildings do not have doormen’s; newer building do.

Calhoun, Georgia
reviews: 32
14. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

Actually, the apartment we are staying in is in Barrio Brasil. The apartment we had last trip had a lobby with 24 hour security just a couple of blocks closer to the Centro than we are staying this time. I believe the apartment we have has security too.

Thanks for both of your comments.

Calhoun, Georgia
15. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

Viajando and all,

One of the changes we have noted over the first trip to Chile and our latest trip was the increase in graffiti. It was distressing to us to see that graffiti was on the Hotel Carrera, which was bought out by the Chilean government. As you know, it is across the street from La Mondeda, the presidential palace. That is equivalent to vandals writing graffiti on a hotel across from the White House in the US. The initial response is, how could vandals possilby write on a building directly in view of the police?

We also noted the graffiti written on one of the historic walls of one of the museums near the Plaza de Armas. I'm sorry, I don't remember the name of the museum.

However, this is minor to the crime we deal with in the US.

We love the lifestyle in the Centro area. We will keep all the comments in mind but will be looking there to plan our future.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
16. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

The Carabineros and Investigaciones are in the process of deciphering the code and language of the graffiti.

Appears that a lot of the graffiti now appearing on private homes and small businesses are detailed code to other criminals on who is/is not a good target to rob or break-in to.

Then you have the normal gang stuff including the recent battle between the anti-globalist leftist gangs and the neo-Nazis (yes they have neo-Nazis in Chile).

Calhoun, Georgia
17. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

Expat

Believe it or not, but we have gangs in the little North Georgia town where I live. I had heard the same thing, that is, that their graffiti is code to other gang members. Our police actually has a gang task force. It seems to be a worldwide problem.

San Francisco
reviews: 3
18. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

24,000 pesos isn't that bad of a Condo Fee.. you should pay my condo fee in Maui!.. holy cow!.. between that and taxes I don't want to even tell you but it's close to USD$35K a year!..

if I didn't rent it out solid for 6 months a year I'd never be able to afford it..

19. Re: ravenous for info on Chile

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 24, 2009