We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good museum in Santiago

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Good museum in Santiago

Since the pre-Columbian museum is still closed, any suggestion on a good similar museum in Santiago? I read that some other museum has artifacts from Easter Island - is it worth a visit? Since I will not be visiting Easter Island if there is a museum with 1/2 Moai then it will be a bonus

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
1. Re: Good museum in Santiago

There is a good, small collection of pre-columbian artefacts upstairs in the MAVI, a privately owned gallery/collection, in the Lastarria area. They have a website.

You may be thinking of the Museo Fonck in Viña del Mar for the Moai.

http://www.museofonck.cl

There is one in Santiago that I know of in the middle garden of the Alameda around Amunátegui street. There are a couple of replicas around.

usa
2. Re: Good museum in Santiago

dancingmolly - Thanks for these suggestions. I will take a look at the MAVI since I wont have time to get to Museo Fonck in Viña del Mar which looks better

New York City, New...
reviews: 13
3. Re: Good museum in Santiago

The museum in Vina del Mar looks interesting. Can anyone tell me how to get there from Santiago via public transportation on a weekend?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
4. Re: Good museum in Santiago

You can take a bus to Viña del Mar. From the bus station you could walk to the museum or take a taxi. The bus station is on Calle Valparaíso.

http://www.museofonck.com

usa
5. Re: Good museum in Santiago

Noticed the precolumbian museum in Santiago is reopening in Jan 2014 - before I will be there - do not think it has any Moai in its collections (from what I can find from the webpage). Can anyone who has visited that museum please confirm/deny?

Thanks

usa
6. Re: Good museum in Santiago

dancingmolly - referring to your suggestion of "one in Santiago that I know of in the middle garden of the Alameda around Amunátegui street" - is this an original or a copy? What is the easiest way to get here using public transport?

Thanks

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
7. Re: Good museum in Santiago

I have always read that it is a real one, put there in 1988 to mark the 100 years since the annexation of Easter Island to Chile. Toid would probably know.

You can take the metro, Moneda is probably the closest stop. They have been doing a lot of work on the Alameda around Moneda and there is a chance they have moved it.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
reviews: 7
8. Re: Good museum in Santiago

I don't know whether the moai on the Alameda is an original or not. There are original moai in the Museo Nacional de Historia Natural.

usa
9. Re: Good museum in Santiago

dancingmolly, Toid - Thanks for the information! I will try to add Museo Nacional de Historia Natural to my itinerary

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
10. Re: Good museum in Santiago

Remember, all museums closed Mondays.