We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

Hi there,

I will be traveling to Chile and Argentina with my cousin in October/November. We will be flying out of Miami and doing an Intrepid Tour that starts in Santiago, Chile, and ends in Ushuaia. We want to go to Buenos Aires from there before heading to Chicago.

Based on this, we would have 3 one-way flights: Miami-Santiago, Ushuaia-Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires-Chicago. From initial research, this would be over $2600.

I think it would be cheaper for us to get a return ticket from Miami to either Santiago or Buenos Aires. But this means we would either fly or get a bus from Santiago-Buenos Aires.

Does anyone have any experience with catching a bus from Santiago-Buenos Aires? What is the recommended company, estimated travel time, and approximate cost? Are there any entry/exit fees that we should be aware of? Any safety concerns?

When I look at flights, it seems return flights from Santiago-Buenos Aires are cheaper than one-ways. Are one-way flights uncommon?

Also, when I travelled to Peru I booked domestic flights with a travel agent and I noticed their prices were much cheaper than when I looked online. Is it similar in Chile and Argentina? Are there any travel agents or airlines you would recommend for booking flights?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Anna

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
1. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

If you have a US passport the reciprocity fees for both Chile and Argentina are US$160 pp. The difference is that the fee is collected for any entry point to Argentina (paid online before you travel) and for Chile you only pay if flying into the airport in Santiago and no other airport, port or land border. It is good for the life of the passport for Chile and for ten years even in an expired passport for Argentina.

One way flights are not common and will often cost nearly as much as a return flight. Some airlines will not board you for an international flight one way.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saint Augustine
reviews: 24
2. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

"Does anyone have any experience with catching a bus from Santiago-Buenos Aires? What is the recommended company, estimated travel time, and approximate cost? Are there any entry/exit fees that we should be aware of? Any safety concerns? "

You may have to go Santiago-Mendoza-Buenos Aires. We did these two separate trips last year with Andesmar and were very impressed with the comfort and the price. Go to Mendoza during the daytime (approx 7 hours including border stop) for spectacular views over the Andes. The overnight bus from Mendoza to Buenos Aires is about 12-13 hours and is so comfortable you can actually get 8+ hours of sleep.

There is a lot of information on the Santiago, Mendoza and Buenos Aires forums if you use the search function above with key word "Andesmar".

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

Thanks dancingmolly and Orlando_Vic for your feedback!

Saratoga Springs, NY
reviews: 4
4. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

I booked a flight from BA to Lima and spent a few days in Miraflores before flying from LIM to FLL on Spirit. Paid under $750 from LIM to FLL only on Sundays for two people!!! Check onetravel.com for prices and rt tix in BA are usually cheaper.

5. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

Anna,

In September my wife and I are traveling on a similar trip (our destinations are different but the circumstances are similar).

Here are a few things you might want to try with your booking that allowed me to get a great price on my tickets.

1) Try to book as a multi destination flight beginning and ending in Miami, and then book your travel to Chicago separately. Beginning and ending at the same place often reduces the price.

2) if you have time to spend a few days in uruguay as well as BA, check out prices for a multi destination returning to Miami from Montevideo.

We booked were interested in travel to Santiago and BA in September and the best price we could find on a multi destination flight from Miami to Santiago to Buenos Aires to Miami was about $1400 each.

Instead we booked a multi destination flight from Miami to Santiago, Santiago to Buenos Aires, and Montevideo to Miami. This cost $679 per person for the same dates.

Calgary, Canada
reviews: 15
6. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

Hi,

I am interested in knowing where did you book this Flight. I am looking in to a multi destination, from YYC (Calgary, AB Canada) to BRC (Bariloche, AR) and then REL (Trelew, AR) back to YYC, and I am having some trouble, I am traveling with my husband and my 3year old daughter, she is a great traveler but we like to have longer connection times.

Any ideas or tips are welcome!

I am using the Flight searches here in trip advisor and so far in Flight Network the connections are pretty bad, I have to change airports with a short period of time both ways...

Thanks so much!

7. Re: Chile/Argentina flight advice needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 16, 2014