We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
reviews: 1
Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

We are flying in/out of Santiago. My sister has moved there recently so we wil prob spend about a week there/valparaiso with her. I am keen to see history, architecture, local people/markets and smaller villages. Less keen to see cities and Patagonia. We have a moderate budget, the kids are good walkers and like a bit of adventure. I like the idea of machu piccu, ? Jungle but not sure how to best get around or the most interesting history/authentic cultural places. All tips welcome :-)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
1. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

Machu Picchu is not in Chile. When are coming to Chile? This could determine where you go. The south is cool and wet in the winter. It is warmer and dry in the north.

Perth, Australia
2. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

Hi, we will be in south America for December this year. Flying in/out of Santiago but considering going up to peru and or bolivia for the middle two weeks. Given our short trip and the expanses, we assume that we are best off flying (though gen love trains).

Thks,

S

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
3. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

Consider the Elqui valley near La Serena. It is 6-7hours on a bus but you can also fly. It seems to me that you would like it.

Perth, Australia
4. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

sounds like a great idea - looks great and not too touristy.

what is the best way to see Maccu Pichu with say up to 1-2 days walk (but not 4).

Also am wondering if we should have a few nights in a lodge on the Peru end of the Amazon to get a taste of the 'jungle' and wild life?

tips anyone?

s

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
5. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

You need to ask on the Peru forum.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 48
6. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

Santiago is nowhere near Machu Picchu... I'm confused by the question.

Peru
7. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

From Santiago, Machu Picchu is not generally an inexpensive side trip. It is possible to do, but given flight costs for a family of 5, you might reconsider staying in Chile to explore as suggested above. Elqui Valley and San Pedro de Atacama might appeal to your family.

Peru tips:

From Chile, you would have to fly Santiago to Lima to Cusco. LAN Airlines sometimes has specials. 5 days to explore Cusco/Sacred Valley/Machu Picchu. You need permits for the 2 day Inca Trail. These sell out weeks in advance for December so be sure to book early. From Cusco, <1hr flight to Puerto Maldonado, where there are many options for jungle lodges.

A final note - December is the rainy season in Cusco/Machu Picchu. Many travelers still visit and have a great time during the rainy season, but pack your rain gear for best comfort.

Happy travel planning,

Latin America For Less

Singapore
reviews: 113
8. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

SFM, I am doing something similar. Flying into South America via SCL then going to Peru to see MP, Inca Trail, Titicaca. If you like trains, Orient -Express are big in Peru. I would have loved to have taken a train from Cusco to Puno but it does not go on the day I am interested. Then I am going to Atacama and Patagonia. This is my first trip to SA so I can't tell you what to expect, but do check out the Peru pages as there is a lot of information there and planning everything by yourself seems immensely do-able. Yes for the distances you will need to fly. Even Santiago to Punta Arenas is over 3 hours flying! Check out LANpass. For Patagonia read the fora on both the Chilean and Argentinean sides. Again, lots of information to be gleaned from the experts here!

Perth, Australia
9. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

Thks that is helpful

10. Re: Itinerary tips wanted - 4 weeks, 2 adults, 3 young teens

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 09, 2014