We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe there?

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
reviews: 57
Is it safe there?

We have been told not to carry jewels, watches and so while in Buenos Aires.

What about Santiago? May we feel safe to use the same things we use at home in Israel? Or else?

Thanks in advance

1. Re: Is it safe there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 pm, February 07, 2013
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
2. Re: Is it safe there?

I would follow the no jewelry advice though (especially gold OR gold "colored") as it is just plain common sense.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 55
3. Re: Is it safe there?

Have you been to any big cities? You take much the same precautions in any of them.

Minneapolis...
4. Re: Is it safe there?

We are Americans and have been in BA the past45 days and we feel safer here than in St. Paul. Depending on the neighborhood you will be staying in, we are in Palermo which is a nice area also Recoleta is a good area. Have fun and enjoye yourself.

Medellin, Colombia
reviews: 21
5. Re: Is it safe there?

I have lived in Central and South America for the last six years, and have traveled to Buenos Aires and other parts of Argentina many times. I think it is smart to leave valuables (e.g., expensive watches, jewelry, computers, etc.) at home, or to carry the very minimal that you will need. Just because someone made a trip to Argentina and was not robbed, does not mean that it is safer than many U.S. cities. Statistically, New York City today is one of the safest large cities in the world, and you are at much less risk of having a watch or jewelry stolen there than in any city in Latin America, including the small cities. I find it really annoying to read comments to the effect that someone feels safer in Buenos Aires than in whatever U.S. city. And I'm a guy that has rode on the Buenos Aires metro alone at all hours of the day, something that my Latin American co-workers are afraid to do.

Theft is in fact a very real and large problem throughout Latin American. In places like Buenos Aires it is usually minor stuff like pick pocking, but no one is happy if their laptop or iPhone is stolen. Remember the vast majority of people living in Latin America have annual incomes that are less than the value of your trip to Argentina and Chile. You may not consider yourself wealthy, but, to 80% of the population in Argentina and Chile, that fact that you are traveling means that you most likely have something worth stealing. Do yourself a favor and travel modestly, leaving expensive jewelry (and even cheap jewelry that may look expensive) and the Patek Philipe at home, and carry only the things you will absolutely need (e.g., a camera, maybe on laptop or tablet). The less stuff you take with you, the more your will enjoy your trip.

Middlebury, Vermont
reviews: 7
6. Re: Is it safe there?

"I find it really annoying to read comments to the effect that someone feels safer in Buenos Aires than in whatever U.S. city"

That is their experience and you can't take it away from them. If they feel safer THAT IS their opinion.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 3
7. Re: Is it safe there?

I would follow Elgato9's advice. Don't bring things you would be heart broken to have lost or stolen and don't be flashy. The less you have to worry about loosing the more enjoyable your trip will be.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 47
8. Re: Is it safe there?

We were warned at our hotel in Providencia to not walk around at night and to not ask directions from just anyone--only ask police officers. but other than that, it seemed perfectly fine during the day. I'd exercise the same street smarts that you would use in any big city.

9. Re: Is it safe there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 pm, February 16, 2013
Puerto Varas, Chile
reviews: 78
10. Re: Is it safe there?

what sort of things do you normally wear-carry in Israel?