We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
reviews: 4
5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

My wife and I are looking to travel to chile for a 5-7 day trip from US. We are mainly interested in checking out the Santiago+Valparaiso +surroundings....

I'm really confused so your advice would help a lot....

- Should I stay at a hotel in one location in Santiago all days or book at multiple locations?

- Any recommendations for hassle free organized tour packages? Or should I book flight+hotel myself and then individual day tours for each one of the locations...

- We're interested in light/moderate activity and nothing too adventurous like biking/hiking all day....

...as I said I may probably be asking naive questions... :) but your response is most appreciated.Thanks

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
1. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

One possibility would be to divide your stay between Santiago and Valparaiso/Viña del Mar. You would probably be better off booking tours separately. This would give greater flexibility and you could also do some of the trip alone.

Minneapolis...
reviews: 2
2. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

If you have that many nights I suggest breaking it up and staying in Valpo as well. They have great restaurants and hotels so better to be there an evening or two. You can pass through the Aconcagua, San Antonio and Casablanca Valleys on the way, so can see wine country conveniently. If coming from the States, you'll be arriving early in the morning, so a possible skeleton itinerary suggestion would be:

Day 1: a.m. arrival, transfer to Santiago doing a brief city tour if guaranteed early check in is unavailable. Lunch, explore, Santiago, overnight. Depending on preferences and budget, you could consider Hotel Orly, the more upscale Le Reve (5 star boutique), ore the very well located and modern Aubrey Hotel.

Day 2: explore Santiago. Can be fun to do a culinary tour of the city to see a very unique perspective, eat well, and meet/interact with a lot of locals

Day 3: wine tastings and touring in Casablanca. Finishing at Casa Marin family-owned winery and staying in their private guesthouse is really romantic and peaceful, or La Casona at Matetic for a more lavish experience.

Day 4: continue on to Valparaiso, check in, full day exploring Valpo/Vina. Overnight suite mar at Hotel Acontraluz if it fits - awesome room

Day 5: leisure day in Valpo, or you could do tour the northern coast going to La Campana National park, the penguin reserve, Cachagua and Zapapallar. Overnight same

Day 6: return to Santiago, onward flight

That would be a nice skeleton to build a detailed itinerary from.

Cheers and all my best,

Jordan Harvey

Knowmad Adventurer

San Diego...
reviews: 4
3. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

Thank you so much. This is very good information. I will probably contact knowmadadventurers. Cheers

Stanfordfencer
reviews: 3
4. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

Hi there, I was wondering if you know the best way to get to La Campana National Park from Valparaiso? Is there a safe place for us to leave a small rolling bag? I am leaving next week!

Edited: 8:22 pm, March 19, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
5. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

The best way would be to rent a car. If you dd that then you could take the bag with you.

Santiago, Chile
6. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

Another interesting option could be one of the Tour for Tips tours, they have two 3 hour routes everyday, and they're in Santiago and Valparaiso. The price is your tip.

In Santiago, for instance, they have one at 10 am called Offbeat Santiago where they'll take you to the fish market, Vega central, national cemetery and human rights related spots. And at 3pm they have one called Santiago Highlights where you'll see Santa Lucia hill, La Moneda palace, Plaza de Armas and learn more about 1973 military coup and more.

You don't have to make any reservations, you just have to show up at the meeting point, which is the Bellas Artes Museum (it has its own subway, so is easy to get there) and find your "Wally" guide (he's dressed like Wally!).

They're available 7 days a week, you can find out more at TIPS4TIPS website.

Dunedin, New Zealand
reviews: 46
7. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

sounds like a great idea,look forward to trying it out in early sept

8. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:35 pm, July 10, 2013
Bucaramanga...
reviews: 49
9. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

Hi, ur note sounds really interesting and u look like a good knower of the region, I really need a good advice about my next trip to chile and i will love to have a hand.

I'll travel to santiago wth my husband and my 2 kids ( 14 and 15 years old) we'' ll arrive so early in the morning and I'm thinking renting a car to go to vina ( I dont thing in doing nothing extra but rest because we'll arrive for a long nightly trip) Then we'll stay in sheraton and next day we'll love to go vicinitys ( concon, renaca, valparaiso, and off course i'll be open to your suggestion of the best things to do there and restros to visit)

the 29th will be our retorn to santiago through casablanca valley where we can take a wine tour and the lunch (wich one you can recomend to us?)

and I cant decided to stay in Ritz, marriot, sheraton, radisson or san cristobal tower to stay 'till january the 6th, im checkin the hotels areas, rooms, ambience hotel and neighborhood , nice new year's party and great breakfast. so I can't decided yet wich one will be the best.

Besides, i'll love to hear nice suggestions to do in those days in santiago and her cultural and ambiance life , vicinitys and so farth

can u helpme PLEASE!!!!

thks for read this BIGGG message

Bucaramanga...
reviews: 49
10. Re: 5-7 Days around Santiago and vicinity?

thks!!! souds great