We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

entry fee into Chile for Canadians

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, AB
entry fee into Chile for Canadians

Can anyone tell me if they take credit cards or cash only for the $132 entry fee that is required to be paid by Canadian citizens to enter Chile?

Thanks

24 replies to this topic
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
1. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

You can pay with a credit card.

Calgary, AB
2. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

thanks for the info!

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 4
3. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

Reading Frommers, they said this fee is only collected at Santiago Airport. Crossing via borders don't have this fee. What about entry into Chile through other airports: Easter Island for instance?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
4. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

It depends on where you are coming from to get to Easter Island. If you are going through Santiago you would pay the fee as you are connecting from an international flight to a domestic and have to go through passport control and customs at SCL.

Valparaiso, Chile
5. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

There is also an exchange company on the entry side of Customs (top of the escalators, used to be one below as well) so that you can have local currency to pay if your card is an issue. Fees must be paid in Chilean Pesos.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
6. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

>>>> Fees must be paid in Chilean Pesos

Was there a change recently? It was always in USD with foreign credit card also accepted.

Edited: 12:32 pm, June 27, 2012
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
7. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

BUMP!

Anyone else heard of or recently had to pay reciprocity in cash Chilean pesos? If using your card, was the charge done in CLP or USD? If forced to change cash USD to CLP, what was the exchange rate compared to xe.com?

Valparaiso, Chile
8. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

Ok I may have been out of line, I am Canadian and they would not accept Canadian dollars. Perhaps if I had US funds it would have been ok. Oddly enough this was last year when CDN $$ was for the first time in my life higher.

The exchange there was a company I knew from in the city (forget the exact name) but was only a smidge higher than in Santiago.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
9. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

You can pay by credit card or cash, pesos or US dollars. If you are paying in US dollars the bills need to be in pristine condition or they won't take them; no writing on them, no tears.

It is still interesting for Canadians that they will not accept Canadian dollars and good information to have.

The only nationalities which are liable for the reciprocity fee are US citizens, Canadians, Australians, Mexicans and Albanians and the amounts differ for each, depending on how much their consulates charge Chileans for a tourist visa and this inevitably has a tendency to rise periodically. So it is good to check the amount for your nationality if planning to pay in US dollars.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
10. Re: entry fee into Chile for Canadians

Thanks DM,

In all my years here, I've never heard about payment in CLP. Guess most affected have USD anyways so no need to change money. Option not surprising as the $100 USD tourist visa extension fee in-country is paid in CLP at an official CLP/USD rate.

Good to know.

Reply to: entry fee into Chile for Canadians
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted