We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How about the $100 dollars entry fee for americans?

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 6
How about the $100 dollars entry fee for americans?

To all of you interested in this topic, I am very surprised. I just came back from a trip to Argentina and Chile. The Chilean consulate in Chicago confirmed this charge of $100 before I departed in January. However, I did not fly to Santiago. I crossed the border by bus, coming from Mendoza. The 3 of us americans, HAD THE $100 DOLLARS BILL FOLDED IN OUR PASSPORTS, but they did not request any entrance and/or visa fee from us.

We were waiting for such charge at the airport in our way out. The same. Nothing was said. In fact I had been told that everyone had to pay an airport fee of about $20. We did not. It is included in your airticket cost? - I had 2 free tickets and all I paid American Airlines was $10 dollars, when they issued my e-mail ticket several monthas ago!

I would like to hear more opinions about this matter

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
reviews: 7
1. Re: How about the $100 dollars entry fee for americans?

The US$100 reciprocity fee is only charged when you enter Chile at the Santiago International Airport. The reason for this is that few US citizens enter Chile by land and it is not worth the effort to collect the fee from the few who do.

Ifyou didn't dirctly pay the airport fee than American paid it on your behalf.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 22
2. Re: How about the $100 dollars entry fee for americans?

Toid is right. You do not pay the 100 dollar fee if you enter by land, even if you leave via the airport.

The airport tax must have been covered in your ticket somehow. Ten dollars would not cover it so I don't know what happened there. Perhaps the tax is lower if you only use the airport for exiting but I don't really know.