We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rentals

Which Santiago hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York
reviews: 71
Car Rentals

We are trying to rent a car for 7 days. We will be travelling from Santiago to Valparaiso and then south to Colchagua wine Country. I find that by using Hertz or Avis in the US the price is very high. Has anyone used local companies like United Rent-A-Car Chile or citycarrental.com. How do I make sure I have all the proper coverage? How do I avoid hidden fees for insurance and taxes? What should I expect to pay for a mid-sized automatic? Has anyone had experiences with any local companies?

12 replies to this topic
rio de janeiro
reviews: 183
1. Re: Car Rentals

I have no experience of local companies. I just recommend you to avoid AVIS CHILE by any means. They are extremely unpolite and are specialized in "perfect" scams. Mistrust them.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
2. Re: Car Rentals

Take a look at Lys car rentals, www.lys.cl/car-rental_eng/html. I have found pleasant and reliable in the past.

New York
3. Re: Car Rentals

Thank you we did already rent from Lys, I am encouraged by your recommendation. They were professional , their responses to our questions were clear , comprehensive and prompt.

virginia
4. Re: Car Rentals

I'm also interested in renting a car at Santiago airport. I'll be arriving on a Sunday morning. Does this lys company have a desk at the airport. What insurance coverage do I need to take. Is it difficult to get out of the airport area and drive to Santa Cruz. Thank you . eleana

New York
5. Re: Car Rentals

Eleana,

I was in Chile in 2011 Lys did not have a counter at Santiago airport then . My car was brought to my hotel in Santiago, I spent a few days in he city before I needed the car. I did drop it off at the SAntiago airport and the agent met me in the parking lot and handled the return there. I had no problem with the company they had a good rate and the services were professionally delivered. The rental agent who delivered the car to me did not speak any English and the agent I returned it to had very limited English language skills. I am bilingual so this was not an issue for me.

I think all of the insurance coverage i needed was included in the renatl fee but you should contact them via their web site , they were responsive to inquires and responded promptly -in English . Website: www.lys.cl/

As I recall Santa Cruz was about an hour away from Santiago , a pleasant ride some smaller roads as you approach the town. Overall the roads were generally in in good condition and were well marked . Enjoy and safe travels . Eve

Maui, Hawaii
reviews: 3
6. Re: Car Rentals

We had a recent experience with LYS in April. They did deliver a van, as promised, to our hotel which we used to go from Santiago to Santa Cruz. They even provided a cell phone free of charge. Van worked great and we made arrangements to drop off the vehicle at the Santiago airport where "Luis" would meet us. We got to the airport four hours early which is a good thing because "Luis" was no where to be found. He did not answer his phone and the LYS manager said he should be there. Two hours later, someone else showed up to take it (no office at airport). Luis never answered his phone and the manager turned his phone off. We were stranded and needed to get in the cue for the flight. Very stressful.

7. Re: Car Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:05 am, June 16, 2013

Los Angeles...
8. Re: Car Rentals

Try with Hertz Chile, but if you use a local tour operator, you will probably have a better price as they have special rates .

Try chiletraveltours.com/selfdrives/selfdrives.h…

Regards

Edinburgh, United...
reviews: 2
9. Re: Car Rentals

Chilean - rent Acar in Bellavista are great. They will meet you at the airport with the car, sign the papers and away you go. All the Freeway tolls are paid for and the cars are virtually brand new. Cannot fault the customer service.Definatley use them again.

10. Re: Car Rentals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 pm, July 31, 2013

Reply to: Car Rentals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santiago