We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Which Chile hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 1
Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Hello

I have 4/5 days in Chile where I would like to visit Valparaiso for a day, do a wine tour with a tour company, visit the Andes mountains either a trek or horseback riding up there with a tour company and maybe squeeze in a thermal bath which I think can be done by yourself?

Question is, where is the most central place to stay? Do I stay in Santiago itself and hope tour companies or is there another location to stay in?

Do not really want to move twice as I only have a short stay and I will be doing a lot of moving around after Chile.

Any tips or suggestions.

Thanks

Elaine

15 replies to this topic
Birmingham, United...
1. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Just to add I off course want to see Santiago itself, but think it only requires a day? Plane lands at 7:10am so I could use this time for travelling to whatever destination you suggest to be my central place to stay.

Thanks

Elaine

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 100
2. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

You can base in Santiago. The places you mentioned is doable as daytrips from Santiago.

Middlebury, Vermont
reviews: 10
3. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

There is a lot to see in Santiago. I would allow at least 4 days to get a better idea of what the city has to offer.

Birmingham, United...
4. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Thanks to you both for your advise. I will base myself in Santiago. Any particular area in Santiago that you would recommend.

Quick, random question - Does anybody know of a tour operator that does horseback riding in the Andeas that goes into the mountain peaks?

Thanks again

Elaine

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
5. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Stay either in the Lastarria/Bellas Artes area or Providencia. Lastarria area best for fun.

Birmingham, United...
6. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Thanks Toid,.....I will check those areas out. I did see another hotel but its in the Las candes area, is this a good/bad area do you know?

Thanks again

Elaine

Middlebury, Vermont
reviews: 10
7. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Las Condes is one of the most modern and expensive parts of Santiago. It is very safe. However, the Providencia area has more to offer to somebody without a car.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
reviews: 20
8. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

The metro covers a lot of Las Condes, so you could choose virtually anywhere near line 1. I wouldn't stay right in the center of town as evening dining options are few, or Bellavista where transport is further away. Lastarria and Bellas Artes are good for someone on their own, the area of Providencia between Tobalaba metro station and Pedro de Valdivia metro station, Las Condes between Tobalaba and the Escuela Militar metro station. You have a lot of choice.

Birmingham, United...
9. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Fantastic. You have all been very helpful.

Thank you all

Elaine

Birmingham, United...
10. Re: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??

Hi all

After researching a bit more of tour prices in Chile, ie The Andeas and doing a wine tour I have decided to stay in a budget accommodation to save money as this will be my first stop.

I have come up with 3 and wondered if you had a recommendation.

Chileapart.com -Merced 562, of 620-A (Santa Lucia). Apparently this is in the center of Santiago, 10mins from Lastaria and 5mins from the main square plaza de armas.

Lastaria 43-61, Lastarria 43-61, Santa Lucia.

Ibis santiago providencia , avienda providencia 1187

So, I know both the Providencia and the Lastarria area was recommended above, but I'm not sure if the chileapart.com is also apart of the Lastarria as it is also in Santa Lucia as is the Lastarria 43-61 hotel which is Lastarria?

I am mostly drawn by the reviews to the chileapart and the Ibis, any suggestions please?

Thank you

Elaine

Reply to: Best/central location please, Santiago or ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted