We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fishing in Pucon or Puerto Varas or somewhere in the Lakes

Which Chile hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough
Level Contributor
28 posts
53 reviews
fishing in Pucon or Puerto Varas or somewhere in the Lakes

we're going to be heading down from Santiago to Pucon and/or Puerto Varas mid November for 4 or 5 days, either by bus or plane, to be decided, and my husband would like to fish -and i'd like it to be somewhere nice to walk and just be there. there seem to be trips you can book from here in the Uk that are expensive, so we are wondering if anyone knows what it's like to just arrive and find good fishing when you get there - he'll want to borrow waders/equipment as don't think they'll let him on the flight with chest waders - he's an experienced fly fisher here in the UK but mostly on big reservoirs rather than rivers. any advice on costs, location and whether we really need to book in advance or can just wing it much appreciated! thanks in advance

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
187 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: fishing in Pucon or Puerto Varas or somewhere in the Lakes

Good morning Helen,

On a general note, I prefer Puerto Varas to Pucon. PV is really Pucon 50 years ago, before it became such a 'hot spot'. Don't get me wrong, Pucon is every bit beautiful and has a great infrastructure of hotels, restaurants, and outdoor activities at your fingertips, however it doesn't offer quite the intimacy and authenticity that Puerto Varas does. If spending time in both, I would consider leaning more time to Puerto Varas which has many of the same opportunities.

In Puerto Varas there is an Orvis store right off the main plaza as well as a few others who will provide privately guided day trips, generally on the amazingly scenic Petrohue River. A day of floating with picnic might be really fun for you as you can see great landscapes and enjoy even without fishing. Renting equipment can be a bit more problematic without purchasing a fully guided day as companies are reluctant to rent out quality gear as many uninitiated return it with issues, however you may have luck with that I'm not sure. Guided days on the river are expensive no matter how you book them as it's a 1:1 guide guest ration and there is generally quite a bit of transport, and if a raft is involved logistics.

If you were able to rent, staying a night or two at the low-key eco property Campo Aventura may be nice as it sits right on a nice fishing spot. If you do say hi to Kurt and Horacio for me. If you do stay their, consider horseback riding up to the Mountain Lodge for 2 nights so you can see the one and only Cochamo Valley and ride with a gaucho. That's a one of a kind Chile/nature experience!

Cheers and all my best,

Jordan Harvey

Knowmad Adventurer

2. Re: fishing in Pucon or Puerto Varas or somewhere in the Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:45 am, October 24, 2013
Peterborough
Level Contributor
28 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: fishing in Pucon or Puerto Varas or somewhere in the Lakes

I've only just discovered this reply ... thank you and many apologies for not responding earlier - i'm unable to send you a pm for some reason. the Orvis shop recommendation looks good and we'll contact them very soon - and we are intending to head to the cocahamo valley

thanks for the advice

4. Re: fishing in Pucon or Puerto Varas or somewhere in the Lakes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 26, 2014