We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plan my trip! 10 days

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 43
Plan my trip! 10 days

My husband and I are looking to travel to Chile in December/January for about 10 days. Would love to see the penguins, do something active, and drink some wine. We are in our 30s. Any sample itineraries would be much appreciated! :)

7 replies to this topic
Rome, Italy
1. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

Hi:

You can see penguins in Patagonia (near Punta Arenas) or in Chiloe Island (near Ancud). The best wine valleys are Casablanca, Maipo and especially Colchagua.

I travelled last year through www.chiletraveltours.com visiting the Lake District where I tried sea kayak, and Patagonia. I also visited the Colchagua valley. The whole trip was according my expectations.

Syracuse, New York
reviews: 43
2. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

Would it be possible to go to Punta Arenas, Lake Region, and Wine Region in 10 days? 3 days in each maybe? Should we pick only two?

Rome, Italy
3. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

It is a little complicated, but, yes, you could do it. Perhaps you will have to book some services on private basis in order to get more flexibility.

New York City, New...
reviews: 116
4. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

Cant help you with the wine, but for the penguins we flew down to Punta Arenas, here is my trip report for that

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297401-d157…

This will not take all day, so I would recommend you visit the Cemeterio and get meal at Cocinera Anita.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297401-d187…

and

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297401-d263…

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
5. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

You could do it. There are wineries very close to Santiago and even going to The Clachagua Valley could be done in a long day. The flight to Punta Arenas is 3 and a half hours so that would take half a day. Being active is very easy as the Andes are only a very short drive or the coast is less than 2 hours. I would plan your trip around the penguins. Start soon as You could have dead time in December with Christmas and New Year and after New Year the peak holiday season begins.

Santiago, Chile
reviews: 11
6. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

My advice would be to skip Patagonia, if there is no flight to Puerto Natales, you have to drive 250 km to/from Punta Arenas to get to Torres del Paine, which is worth much more than a couple of days. The Lake district has oodles of attractions, and penguins can be seen on many islands along the entire coast of Chile. The Ancud Chiloe option is good for penguins, and you can spend a lot of time around Puerto Varas nearby, seeing volcanoes, hot springs, ancient forests, lakes, rivers, sea food, history, etc. Just about anywhere along the panamerican highway travelling south you can go east (to the mountains) or west (to the coast) and find outstanding scenery. Puerto Varas is almost at the end of the highway, 10 hours from Santiago. Enjoy it!

7. Re: Plan my trip! 10 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:45 am, October 24, 2013

Reply to: Plan my trip! 10 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted