We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 days in May

Which Chile hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Versailles, Kentucky
reviews: 134
6 days in May

My wife has a business trip to Santiago in the middle of next May. We should have enough time to see the city and perhaps make a trip out to the wine country in the 5 days that we will be in Santiago. We will then have 6 days on our own. It will be mid-autumn, too cold I fear to go to very far south. Could anyone recommend an itinerary for our 6 days?

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
reviews: 7
1. Re: 6 days in May

You could consider going north.

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 4
2. Re: 6 days in May

Hi there,

Depends on what you want to see, but Santiago is a interesting big capital city. The Wine Country is really close and it's the harvest season. You can take one day to go to some vineyards like the ones in Santa Cruz. Also Atacama is a great option. For that you need 4 to 3 days. Fly in the morning, transportation to San Pedro de Atacama afternoon tour. All of them start from the town and they are early. But arrive early also. You can also opt for a fully packaged tour to Atacama.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Lauren with OneSeed Expeditions

New York City, New...
reviews: 123
3. Re: 6 days in May

You could fly out to Easter Island for a few days. That's about the right amount of time to be there.

Atlanta, Georgia
4. Re: 6 days in May

I just come back from Santiago, we were there for five days and we had a great time. The first day we walked around the center of the city ( you felt safe but don't wear expensive jewelry, you can be a target) I recommend to eat seafood at the market. The second day we took a tour with Turistik company (highly recommend) to Viña del Mar, Valparaiso and organic vineyard called Emiliana. The third day we took another tour half day to the Andes and the other half day to another Vineyard call Undurraga. The last day we walk around the city again and we bought souvenirs at the Chile arts and crafts located in Santa Lucia. I recommended this places to buy souvenirs. Chile is pretty expensive city but you can buy nice stuff at good price here. Also, make sure to double check your bills sometimes they make mistakes. The best of Chile is the great people! Also, add to you budget US $160 per person for visa. This stamp is valid for the life of your passport. Also, before you take a taxi from airport to the hotel check prices, they charged us $25000 pesos (US $53) but they ripoff us, from airport to city center is $15000 pesos not $25000 pesos (please don't pay more than $18000 pesos for a taxi from airport to any hotel in Santiago).

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
5. Re: 6 days in May

>>>> US $160 per person for visa

Reciprocity fee is only for certain passport holders—US, Canada, Australia, Mexico and Albania and validity varies between them.

>>>>> we bought souvenirs at the Chile arts and crafts located in Santa Lucia. I recommended this places to buy souvenirs.

This is the bargain feria for souvenirs, for high-end quality products go to Los Dominicos.

>>>>> make sure to double check your bills sometimes they make mistakes.

If they were all in the favor of the cashier, I doubt these were mistakes.

>>>> before you take a taxi from airport to the hotel check prices

Only use the official taxi desk at the airport for a transfer. The prices are fixed, they will not rip you off and you can prepay by credit card. Tipping is not necessary unless the driver goes out of their way to help with something (10%).

Providencia...
reviews: 19
6. Re: 6 days in May

There are some nice wineries not very far from Santiago, along the Casablanca Valley or near the San Antonio Cartagena seabord, many of them with their own boutique B&B or hotel (Casa Marín, Matetic, etc.)

7. Re: 6 days in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 16, 2013