We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days – how to spend your time

Which Chile hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
reviews: 12
10 days – how to spend your time

My husband and I are planning a trip to Chile in December 2010. How would we best use 10 days? We would fly into Santiago. Just doing some preliminary research and reading, we are interested in Valparaiso, wine country, the lake district, and Patagonia, but I am sure that is too much for 10 days. Basically I think we are overwhelmed at all the places we want to go! I have done some searching on the forum here but it just seems to complicate everything! And unfortunately we can’t take more than 10 or so days.

We like day hikes (can be strenuous, but no camping), cultural activities (museums, music), flat water kayaking, and we love great food and wine. We prefer to avoid ultra touristy places.

A few other things - we’d like to avoid renting a car if at all possible. I know if we want to get to Patagonia we’ll have to fly or take a long bus, but can anyone recommend particularly good areas for visiting without a car? Towns where it’s easy to get to parks via buses, hired cars, etc.

Thank you!

Rancagua, Chile
reviews: 19
1. Re: 10 days – how to spend your time

If this is a kind of "once in a lifetime" visit to Chile, I'd spend almost a week in the Patagonia (Torres del Paine mainly, Puerto Natales, etc). Lots of trekking and good lodging

torresdelpaine.com/secciones/…directorio.asp

Then maybe spend the rest of the days in Santiago, from where you can go visit Viña/Valpo and stop on the route in the Casablanca Valley to visit some wineries.

http://www.casablancavalley.cl/eng/

Edited: 6:04 pm, January 09, 2010
NC
reviews: 12
2. Re: 10 days – how to spend your time

Thank you very much - I think you are right - we'll cut out the Lake District and focus on the area around Santiago and then the rest of the time in Patagonia.

I'm sure that I'll have more questions. Thanks!

3. Re: 10 days – how to spend your time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, July 11, 2010