We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Ever Trip Report: B.A. and Patagonia

Which Argentina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 1
First Ever Trip Report: B.A. and Patagonia

I am so grateful to this forum for all the information I received before we left; you truly fueled my excitement and allayed my fears. I just returned from an amazing two-week trip and would like to share some of my favorite memories for those first timers planning a trip…

Buenos Aires

--walking the streets of Recoleta, lush with jacaranda and fragrant with jasmine, stopping at the cemetery, the feria, the parks

--wandering the colorful streets of El Caminito and Plaza Dorrego (who cares if they’re touristy—I was a tourist!)

--MALBA! With all the famous museums of NYC at my fingertips, this amazing exhibition of Latin American art is my new favorite!

--Aaaah—Las Madres de la Plaza de Mayo…with the white kerchiefs painted on the Plaza…testimony to the indomitable spirit of the Argentine women…

--The Teatro Colon! Magnificent! Even though we had to sign up for a tour in Spanish (we don’t speak Spanish but we had no time to wait for an English tour—which led to a few embarrassing moments when the guide assumed we spoke the language!), we were stunned by the majesty and disappointed that there was no performance for us that night.

--Rojo Tango! Cabaret was stifling, crowded, and noisy—but the dance, sexy, poetic, alive! Delighted with our subsequent introduction to Gotan Project and electronic tango!

--Dulce de Leche—the delicious caramel syrup--on everything!

El Calafate

--Eolo—the grandest lodge at the ends of the earth! From now on, in times of stress, I shall forever meditate to the view from the living room at the Eolo Lodge which overlooked Lago Argentino and Torres del Paine! We spent hours walking (my husband and I) and horseback riding (young adult kids) with mouths open in constant amazement at the beauty.

--Glaciers! We did the water tour and the balconies walk—both stunning. Also did the Discovery Excursion at Estancia Cristina (rough ride up the mountain for another view of Upsala—too much for me, great for young adults).

Peninsula Valdes

--Punta Tombo—actually saw baby seals hatching in their nests!

--Loved the beauty and relaxation (we needed it after all the driving!) of El Pedral, a remote lodge on the tip of Punta Nifas…kids saw sea lions and trekked…we walked to the sea, gathered extraordinary samples of rocks, and sat with the sea elephants.

SO much more—but these are the highlights..just to let first timers know what awaits them. I was fearful before I went—and yes, we did fall prey to one unscrupulous taxi driver (even though I knew what he was doing in exchanging counterfeit but felt helpless)--but did not witness any of the much publicized street crime which had me terrified before we left. The people were lovely—I left a package at a booth at a street fair and the vendor held onto it for ten days, hoping I would return! I did. I am still glowing—and as a result, have written my first ever trip report! Wishing you all fond memories of your own!

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 57
1. Re: First Ever Trip Report: B.A. and Patagonia

Thank you Rivernj for this great report.

Glad you enjoyed Argentina.

Next time will be even better, you'll see.

Cheers,

V.

2. Re: First Ever Trip Report: B.A. and Patagonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, December 17, 2013