We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Which Argentina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 25
Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

We just got back yesterday from another thoroughly enjoyable trip to Buenos Aires! It was our 7th trip to Argentina and it was as thrilling to be there as the first time.

Its not that we did anything too different this time other than a great Cicerone tour which I highly recommend. We visited some beautiful parts of Belgrano and Chinatown. Our guide, Carlos was a delight.

We also did the free walking tour with Sol who is hilarious. We went on the evening tour I would go on it again. This was my second time doing that tour.

I feel a little foolish about worrying so much about inflation and the prices of restaurants. Believe me, BA compared to home, is still reasonable. Lunch is so cheap when you consider all you get for about 10-12 US dollars. Dinners, if you look around, you can still pay less than $20 a head and have a decent meal. If you split an entree, you definitely can save money.

We brought back the usual excessive amounts of alfajores, dulce de leche, mate and also unusual gelatin mixes. They have flavors such as apple, pear and pineapple. These are flavors that we don't have at home. I sometimes buy dulce de leche cake mixes but I din't see any this time.

The other issue that I would like to address is safety because I was worried before. We felt totally and I mean totally safe walking around. I did carry a money belt and kept the amount of $$$ I needed in my front pocket. I was alert but not worried or paranoid. We walked down Calle Florida once but it was just too crowded. We just happened to be in the area. We even took the metro a couple of times but we were extremely careful. There were a few characters on the trains to be sure. Just carry a money belt and keep any cameras or cell phones out of sight. If you carry a purse, I would say don't! I would just take cabs too.

Another piece of good news, at least for me is that when I which I got on the scale this morning. I was expecting the worst. Maybe plus 3-4 pounds? I had flan mixto(flan with dulce de leche and whipped cream) a few times, helados galore, so much red meat and bread at every meal. Plus you know the little cookies that are given when you order a coffee? Well yes, I I ate all of those too. Oh and the empanadas! So I could not believe it but I didn't gain any weight!

We walked miles and miles each day from Palermo Soho to the Recoleta and then to 9 de Mayo and then to Plaza de Mayo.

So I do say to anyone who is thinking about going to just do it if you can. Argentina is really wonderful. We will be back in two years I think. April is a wonderful time to go as well!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 5
1. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Otroviaje,

Thanks so much for your excellent trip report. Your holiday was too short, You need to spend more time here in Argentina.

Was so happy to hear that all went well and that you had such a lovely time.

Saludos!!

Argentina
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
reviews: 51
2. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Hello,

Same here - very glad to learn your viaje was estupendo.

Thank you very much for this report, and congratulations on your metabolism!

Come back soon,

V.

Buenos Aires
Destination Expert
for Province of Cordoba
reviews: 10
3. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Hi otroviaje !

Glad to know that all those concerns were not so big issues, they exist, but you can handle them with a bit of common sense.

Hope all will be even better in 2 years when you come again !

Cheers

Silvia

4. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Hola Ricardo, Verboaires y Silvia. Thank you all. It was such a great trip and I am already missing BA. A restaurant that we liked downtown was La Posada

1820 near Hotel Claridge and also near calle Florida. We had eaten there on previous trips. It was quite good for lunch and the service was good too.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 3
5. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Great, otroviaje!! I am glad everything was ok and you enjoyed your trip

To bs as, I can't wait to go back!!

Ann

6. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

When I travel, I like to pick up ideas for new things to cook. right now, I am roasting some vegetables with garlic and I am going to mix it with some Don Vicente "moños" or farafalle pasta. I brought a few bags of this pasta home. It great. Also, I gave my parents a box of great alfajores. The brand is Carafoz and it was recommended by my porteños friends. For lunch today, I made a salad that I had last week. All it was is arrugula( or rocket lettuce for my UK friends) and parmeggiano cheese with good Argentian olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Buenos Aires
Destination Expert
for Province of Cordoba
reviews: 10
7. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Hi otroviaje !

I also like the restaurant La Posada de 1820 at the corner of Tucuman and San Martin st

and pasta Don Vicente are one of the best.

On the other side, I guess the alfajores you gave your parents are Cachafaz, aren't they ?

Cheers

Silvia

8. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Hi Silvia,

Yes, the alfajores are Cachafaz. That is what I meant and they are very good.

I bought them instead of the Havanna ones this time.

I really miss Argentina already. It was such an amazing trip that I had. The next time that I go back, might be during the South American winter. I would have more time to spend then and we would probably go to Salta and to Iguazu for a little warm weather.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
reviews: 47
9. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

Another informative & useful report (as usual!) I am glad everything went according to plan & you enjoyed your trip. Thanks for sharing.

10. Re: Otro viaje estupendo! Why did I wait so long!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:43 pm, June 18, 2013