We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Part 1

Beaufort, SC
reviews: 33
Trip Report - Part 1

I am FINALLY getting around to writing my trip report after two wonderful weeks in Argentina. Our flight arrived a little late Sunday morning and, as promised, Fred with Silver Star Cars, was there to greet us and guide us through the airport to his nice Lincoln Towncar (http://www.silverstarcar.com/). My husband and I agreed he was worth every penny of the $50 cost. We used him again to transport us to and from the airport for our Mendoza flights, and then for our final flight home. Fred went way beyond what was necessary, providing little mini tours along the way, small bill change, coin change, etc., all the little things that made our life easier that first day in BA. I can recommend him without any reservation! We arrived at The Glu Hotel in Palermo Soho and were greeted by Patricia, who was expecting us, knew our flight was a little late, and had everything ready for us. I am writing a separate review of this fabulous hotel in the Hotel section, but let me just say, it was fantastic. Since we arrived on Sunday, we set off for San Telmo and the feria. Patricia recommended Café San Juan for a late lunch. The food was terrific and it was packed. We just happened to arrive at the right time. By 9pm, we were ready to head home and get some sleep after being up for 2 days! Monday we took a 3-hour city tour with Signature Tours. We got off at many stops and we felt we had a good overview of the city and then knew where we wanted to visit on our own. During the course of the week we visited Recoleta, (of course, the cemetery), Botanical Gardens, Japanese Gardens, Museum of Fine Arts, and walked, walked, walked this wonderful city. We went to the Carlos Gardel Tango Show, including dinner, and I wonder how there could be a better show. The dancing was outstanding, but the biggest surprise for us was the outstanding music. Loved it! We had some outstanding meals, among the favorites: Café San Juan, CampoBravo, La Cabrera, and LaBaita (twice). We spent one day in Colonia del Sacramento which was pleasurable after the hustle and bustle of the city. I am going to continue in another report and pick up with Mendoza. BUT, I cannot end this section without a big LOL re the weather when we were there: highs of 69, 78, and 86. We had to go buy a couple of items so we wouldn’t burn up! Ironically, to many folks, by gosh winter is winter and they continued to dress their little ones in coats, gloves, etc., followed behind by young guys shirtless on bikes. It was crazy, but we were grateful for beautiful weather and no rain. What can you say about the warm, friendly and wonderful people of BA that has not been said so many times on the boards? When you get right down to it, the people always make the trip, and we enjoyed our time with the Portenos. BA is definitely NOT overrated! Thank you destination experts for the wisdom you impart to all of us on these forums.

Buenos Aires
reviews: 10
1. Re: Trip Report - Part 1

Mandimom, it looks like you typed that without drawing breath! Brilliant. I look forward to reading about Mendoza.

You were lucky to catch the little heatwave, it didn't last - we went back to winter for most of last week, but now the Spring has bounced back!

Beaufort, SC
2. Re: Trip Report - Part 1

Yikes, I didn't realize I had to hit an extra return. Makes you breathless just reading it, doesn't it?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
reviews: 14
3. Re: Trip Report - Part 1

Wonderful !! Will you post this in the BA forums too ?

Looking forward to more.. so glad the Glu as Good :)

and the weather ... and the food ... and the people ( they are lovely, aren't they? )

chau, gracias, Scarlett

Beaufort, SC
4. Re: Trip Report - Part 1

I meant to post part 1 in BA and part 2 in Mendoza. Thanks for reminding me -- it's done!

5. Re: Trip Report - Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, March 16, 2010